bit disengaging on makita hr2475

Rob70

I have a brand new Makita Combo Hammer HR2475 (breaker) that I'm using to take down an old brick fireplace. My helper (who is new to construction) was operating the breaker in the following manner: he would drive the breaker bit into the mortar and then use the breaker as a prybar to try to pry the bricks loose. As soon as I saw him doing this, I asked him to stop using it as a prybar. Literally two minutes later, the bit snapped at the base. I switched to a new bit but now, no matter what bit I put in the breaker, it periodically pops out of the chuck in the middle of use. Is the chuck on my brand new Makita already shot because it was used as a prybar? Anyone have experience with this?

I have a brand new Makita Combo Hammer HR2475 (breaker) that I'm using to take down an old brick fireplace. My helper (who is new to construction) was operating the breaker in the following manner: he would drive the breaker bit into the mortar and then use the breaker as a prybar to try to pry the bricks loose. As soon as I saw him doing this, I asked him to stop using it as a prybar. Literally two minutes later, the bit snapped at the base. I switched to a new bit but now, no matter what bit I put in the breaker, it periodically pops out of the chuck in the middle of use. Is the chuck on my brand new Makita already shot because it was used as a prybar? Anyone have experience with this?

Sounds like it.
Shine a light in the end and see if the bearings are moving freely. He may have pushed one in. You might be able to tap it free, otherwise, he owes you a chuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk