Sand in drill

Paul453

I did a job in Saudi Arabia in a desert area. Needles to say, my drill fell on its side and sand got into the air vents. This reduced the torque. The motor also sparked and smoke came from it. I don’t know what kind of motor it had but the drill packed up on me. I have to go back for the deinstall. Does anyone have any tips to protect the drill? I thought about taping over the air vents but concerned that this could lead to over heating and burn out. 

Definitely do NOT tape over the holes. They are there to help heat vent out of the tools. Inadequate heat venting contributes to how a lot of tools break down in the first place.

Not sure how big of an area you have to work around but you could have a tarp to cover ground it could fall on, or a length of rope on the drill to maybe your belt or something. But if you do that, think through any other potential safety concerns that could create ie...any work hazards that could for example yank on the drill while you’re on a ladder, pull you into machinery, etc. May be just better simply figuring a lost drill as part of your work expense.

• Thanks 1

This happens as operators are drilling through sand or gravel. When the operator stops circulation to add the next section of drill pipe, the cuttings settle around the bit. If this occurs, operators should allow extra time (as much as 10 minutes) to flush the cuttings and loosen the stuck bit. If this does not resolve the problem, try thickening the mud with bentonite to assist in removing the cuttings. For more help read here.