DCF886 Build Quality and 20V Battery Reliability

superballz00

I just got the DCF886D2 and noticed that LEDs would light up if I swing the impact up or down rapidly. It would only flash for a split second as it's going up or down. Is this normal? I also noticed that the battery doesn't fit that securely and would rattle if I shake the impact. Is there a way to tell when my impact was manufactured? It states 2013 16-47 on the impact and 2013 15-47 7-2 on the batteries. Does that mean that it was made in 2013?

I'm also concern about the high charge rate of the batteries (charger says 4AH output). I looked at some of the Sanyo 18650 cells that could be in the 2.0AH batteries and they all have a suggested charge rate of about 1/3 of that (1.2-1.5AH). Does anyone know exactly which cells are used in the 2.0AH 20V Max batteries? I found some Sony 18650 high discharge cells rated at 300 cycles with a minimum capacity of 70% based on a 10A discharge, although it's rated for up to 20A discharge. I couldn't find any expected life span in terms of number of charge/discharge for Sanyo cells. The Sony cells have a recommended charge rate of 1C. I doubt the Sanyo cells are that much better so their life span looks to be a a problem. The 2C charge rate would put the number of cycles well below 300 charge/discharge, probably closer to 200. Can anyone comment on their long term experience with their 20V Max batteries in terms of capacity over many charge/discharge cycles?

welcome to the TIA forums!

I have nothing but good things to saw about the 886, its an amazing machine. i've never noticed the LEDs coming on when they shouldn't, but then again i've never shaken it to find out ....

with regard to the charge rate, i wouldn't worry yourself. All brands are using similar batteries, and the Dewalt charger is actually one of the slower ones (70-90 mins for 4ah?). I know I have a Bosch charger with 6A output.

I'm not sure if you can't compare the output of the charger to the rated charge capacity of the batteries directly, because it's charging 10 at once. In the slim packs its charging 5 18650's, and even the 1.5ah batteries take 30 minutes to charge. Thats pretty slow by todays standard.

I have had no problems with any of the 20v batteries I've owned, and I think we'd have heard reports by now if there were widespread problems.