Display Milwauke M18 Jigsaw for $69..But base plate & locking lever are loose

olletsocmit

Edit/Update:  I seem to have fixed it! Replaced 1 of the 2 screws holding the base on, tightened them (nut first then torx screw w/ washers), & used loc tite on them + tightened all screws on the tool.

I was just at HD and saw a display Milwaukee Jigsaw on the clearance rack.  normally $129 for tool only.  I got it for $60!  My question/issue is that the base place seems to be quite loose/wobbly... and the arm that you open and close to adjust the angle on the bottom plate is also super loose.  you can open it just by turning to tool to that side.  Should I return it and forget it ...or does anyone know how to fix this?

Edited by olletsocmit
Fixed the loose/wobbly base & locking lever

Edit/Update: After doing some more research & printing the manual it does seem to be right...

This is looks weird to me but can someone check. The screw on the left (front screw) has a small silver washer and then a bigger black one that is on top on the end of the bigger bolt on the right. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by olletsocmit
Confirmed I think this is right
  • Like 1

I also noticed two empty threaded holes on the front of the base plate as well as horizontal slots on both sides above the anti-splinter clear shield. I couldn't find any info about this at all, is this for accessories or my missing something. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those holes on the front are for a rip guide.  It should have come with a little wing screw to tighten down on the rip guide but I'm sure that was lost a long time ago when it was on display.  You can replace it with any screw that size if you ever need a rip guide but they're not used much on a jigsaw.

I'll check about those washers on a friend's if no one else gets back to you first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Those holes on the front are for a rip guide.  It should have come with a little wing screw to tighten down on the rip guide but I'm sure that was lost a long time ago when it was on display.  You can replace it with any screw that size if you ever need a rip guide but they're not used much on a jigsaw.

I'll check about those washers on a friend's if no one else gets back to you first.

Thanks so much for the info. I could not even find a single pic with this jigsaw using one hahha. But yup, that accounts for the 2 holes and slots. ...this seems to have been a really good deal now haha. $69 for a fully working tool now!!

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, olletsocmit said:

Thanks so much for the info. I could not even find a single pic with this jigsaw using one hahha. But yup, that accounts for the 2 holes and slots. ...this seems to have been a really good deal now haha. $69 for a fully working tool now!!

image.jpeg

now if you get that festool for $69 that would a deal of the year......

• Like 2

11 hours ago, olletsocmit said:

Does anyone recommend a good rip guide/fence that will work good with the Milwaukee jig saw?

Almost every rip guide is exactly the same so if you have one from a circular saw it will work.  Typically you get one with every saw you buy so if you don't have one already you'll probably still end up with one before you need it.  I'm not a fan of using them on jigsaws anyway.  I think it's a lot more accurate to clamp a straight edge to your workpiece and cut along that.

BTW I checked my friend's jigsaw and it has the same screw setup.  Nothing to worry about now that you've tightened it down.