Need some raffle help

rrich1

Alright guys I need some help. I recently completed a set of adirondack chairs to be raffled off for the St.Jude Children's Hospital Run coming up in July. In order to run you have to raise money. We have a niece who is currently a St. Jude patient. My wife ran last year and wants to do it again. It is still up in the air if I can do it or not work wise. 

I am having trouble deciding on how to do the raffle. I initially thought of doing a $5 a ticket or 3/$12 type of deal. I then thought maybe a 1/$10 and 3 for $20 or $25 might work too or even better. I dont want to price people out of buying the tickets. I believe I need to set a dollar cap for the raffle so people will be more likely to enter knowing the percentage to win. Depending on the interest I could make another set before then as well. My cost to build the chairs was i believe $105 and they are made of all ceder. I would like to get $200 out of the raffle at the minimum. I am not taking any money from the raffle and donating my time to build them. What says you? What would you be willing to pay or what would price you out of it. Does knowing that all the money goes to the fund raiser make a difference? Here are some pics of the chairs. 

IMG_20160505_152428294_zpsscaq0mdt.jpg

IMG_20160505_152403355_zpseabauxve.jpg

• Like 3

How many people are attending the event? I find that most raffles do really well with a well attended event. The cause is just therefore people won't mind dropping the cash on a worthy cause, especially a children's hospital. As far as knowledge of where the money goes? If you dropped a $105 on Cedar and bolts, saw blades etc and time and am willing to let the time and cost of materials go 100% towards the cause, that would make me want to buy tickets. As far as minimum proceeds, I think my first sentence might guide you into a realistic number. $200 might end up being low depending on the turnout. 

Just now, ChrisK said:

How many people are attending the event? I find that most raffles do really well with a well attended event. The cause is just therefore people won't mind dropping the cash on a worthy cause, especially a children's hospital. As far as knowledge of where the money goes? If you dropped a $105 on Cedar and bolts, saw blades etc and time and am willing to let the time and cost of materials go 100% towards the cause, that would make me want to buy tickets. As far as minimum proceeds, I think my first sentence might guide you into a realistic number. $200 might end up being low depending on the turnout. 

the run is the actual event. people raise money on their own. We are just doing it by word of mouth. We have had several people say they would buy tickets I would obviously like to maximize the amount able to be raised. 

To get the 200 I could try and find 10 people at $20 tickets or 17 at the $12 price. If I were able to get 20 people I feel like I might as well make 2 sets to get the extra money raised. 

Edit: or shoot for 15 people at $20 ticket to get $300 out of each set.

Ugh.....lol

Gotcha. What about setting up a booth or Dias and putting the chairs on it? Did you take pics of the build? If so, a three minder explaining the charity as well as the build and the commitment to donate the cash to the facility. Might help offset your efforts with foot work, shaking hands and kissing babies to gather the ticket sales. Plus a little bling to your project will only make it better.

I think Jimbo is right. $5 or 3 for $12, 6 for $20. The goal is to sell tickets. $10 a ticket would price me out, offering better odds for more money, ex: 6 for $20; encourages people to donate more.

its physiological. I would feel good paying $20 for 6 or $12 for 3 but I wouldn't be able to justify $10 per ticket.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An update for everyone because apparently I forgot about this thread.

We decided to do 3 tickets for $20 or 1 for $10 dollars. I did the raffle yesterday, July 1st. For the month or so that we had it going we raised just under $1,100!!!! I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. The goal to run in the St. Jude Run was $1,000 per person. My wife and I sold the tickets by word of mouth or Facebook. All tickets were basically sold to co-workers or friends, with a litle family as well but very little. What is funny is this is so the wife can run yet I sold between $700-$800 of the tickets. LOL. Pretty sure guilt and peer pressure were my biggest selling points. Ha! 

All of the proceeds went towards St. Jude. I donated the money for the lumber and time building them. Thanks for the advice given. 

• Like 3

Awesome Rich, that's quite the accomplishment!

Thanks. Worth it to raise the money for an awesome organization. Our niece is finishing treatment in October. We visited them last year while they were there and got to see it all first hand.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, EEtwidget said:

Great job! WWGOA has a build once a year that raise money, I think for St. Jude? You ever watch those YouTube videos?

thanks.

I am subscribed to the channel but I cant remember about the once a year build.