Planer Advice

jslsker

9 hours ago, jslsker said:

Novice to planning but looking to purchase.   Can someone in simple layman's terms tell me the difference between the http://www.lowes.com/pd_221857-70-DW734___?productId=1061487&pl=1&Ntt=dewalt+planer and the http://www.lowes.com/pd_473803-70-DW735X___?productId=4542274&pl=1&Ntt=dewalt+planer

First off, welcome to the forums. 

I actually own the DW734. I bought it almost three years ago reconditioned through CPO Dewalt. The machine was mint and unused. The big thing was the price. The DW735, which truthfully I wish I had, shines in the multi speed and the chip ejector. On the 735, when you hook the machine to your DC, the ejector, which is a propellor, ejects the chips out keeping the cutters cleaner for a better cut. My DW734 is an awesome machine and I truly love it and for the price I paid it was a no brainier but I think I would still be a little happier with those two things. Of you get a 734 though, you will be quite happy with it. It does not come equipped with the chip ejector but with my shop vac attached (soon to be a 1.5hp Jet DC) it keeps the blades reatviey free of sawdust and chips. It's louder than a locomotive but it cuts straight and even and it has a relatively small footprint. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions just give a shout!

• Like 1

Also on mobility. The 735 is a beast. The 734 ain't no slouch either. These machines are really designed as stationary unit's and my 734 sits on a mobile cart that can be easily moved around the shop. The 735 would do good in this capacity too.

• Like 1

The 735 has a 2 speeds for controlling it infeed rate which means more cuts per inch on the slower rate, meaning smoother boards at the slower speed. 80 versus 92 pounds for weight and the big difference in my mind the 735 has a chip ejection fan that literally blows shavings out of it. a kit containing a hood for a trash can and hose is available. The fan literally inflates the hood No dust collection is required. It pays to have either one mounted on some sort of cart. There is a mobile stand designed for it, but it is basically a flat floor small footprint shop use type. I chose to mount my DW735 on a wheeled miter saw stand (DWX726). It took some adaptation to make it fit, but it means planing outside versus, the really fine dust getting all over the basement. With a little online research you can probably find a DW735 package for far less than Lowe's or getting some accessories with it. I wouldn't be scared of purchasing a reconditioned unit if you come across one.28 August 2013 056.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the DW735. Get the in/out feed tables and use the collapsible miter/planer stand to save your back. Unless you've got space for a permanent set up. When your tired of changing steel knives, Byrd has an helical indexable carbide cutter head.