Power tools and battery life

timmyprice255

Ok so this is probably a common question but what brand out of you're guys experience dewalt, Milwaukee Bosch etc.... What brand/ company has the longest battery life but also the tool it self can take some abuse in the field.. Thoughts and opinions.. Let's hear em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same uses I know some tools are better than others from brand to brand I love my drill circular saw impact and hammer drill. I wish my recip saw was a little more powerful but it's 5 years old now and makita also just came out with a new brushless recip saw. Makitas cordless grinder (unless they recently released a new one is garbage) it bogs down way to easy and

I was looking at the Mikita in Home Depot I have mostly dewalt but I feel like I'm going through batteries left and right with dewalt, I'm just wondering what my next brand should be time to try something new

My .02 is that battery life isn't nearly as important as charge times. The new Dewalt line of tools announced tomorrow will have better charge times it seems, but in general Makita has that part of the market cornered. Faster charge times means fewer necessary redundant batteries, saves money. As a Dewalt fanboy I'd suggest you wait for tomorrow, but if not impressed go to Makita and enjoy not having to buy as many batteries to keep the cycle going. 

• Like 1

Sorry yes am. Hugh your right dude. And I enjoy that with my makitas and my Milwaulkees with the fast charging multi charger. Dewalt has for the longest time not brought a fast charger to the market. I believe tomorrow you will see at least one if not more in deferent configurations. 

I only own one dewalt tool like I said I just wanted to buy into that platform along side makita that way I'm not just stuck on 1 platform and if I need a tool for work I can compare and get the better of the 2. I wanted to get into Milwaukee but they are way to expensive. I hate my dewalt battery charger though

• Like 1

My .02 is that battery life isn't nearly as important as charge times. The new Dewalt line of tools announced tomorrow will have better charge times it seems, but in general Makita has that part of the market cornered. Faster charge times means fewer necessary redundant batteries, saves money. As a Dewalt fanboy I'd suggest you wait for tomorrow, but if not impressed go to Makita and enjoy not having to buy as many batteries to keep the cycle going. 

I own 5 batteries and bring 2 chargers too work. I always have at least 2 fully charged but the charger is really fast so often the only one or two that aren't full are the ones I'm using

1 minute ago, jswoger1986 said:

I own 5 batteries and bring 2 chargers too work. I always have at least 2 fully charged but the charger is really fast so often the only one or two that aren't full are the ones I'm using

I have a bank of 5 chargers in my tool trailer that I wired to a exterior RV plug. I take any extension cord, plug it in to my trailer and charge up 5 at a time, 10 total. Depending on what I'm doing that day, sometimes I can still struggle to keep up (usually due to the grinder). If charge times were the same as Makita, I'd only have 6 batteries to carry the same duty load due to the faster turnover rate. 

You'd probably get by with 3. 

• Like 2

I don't have similar sized batteries for similar types of tools between different brands. For instance, I have 4 & 5ah packs for my m18 but slim packs for my Bosch drill and ryobi lights, which I can't possible compare fairly. The run time is great on the fuel tools, and I use sharp bits and hole saws on my drills. That's one thing to remember, it's a huge help having the right(sharp) tools for the job

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Depending on the brand and combo you might get anything from 1.2, .3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.2, or 9.0 amp hour batteries and the cost of one size in one brand might be the same as a different size from a different brand.  

I'll let you in on a little secret; there's little enough difference between most tools of the same type that you won't notice the difference without comparing them side by side.  Pick the manufacturer with the specialty tools you want (things like a hole hawg, impulse driver, or nailer) and go with that.  The difference between a nailer and no nailer is much less than between two drills.