Everything we know about the upcoming Milwaukee 18v 9ah string trimmer

Scott B

I'm intrigued with this new line of OPE from Milwaukee. In particular, I like the idea of how they are leveraging lower volts to get competitive power with longer run times and less weight. The lower voltage allows for them to pack longer runtimes into smaller batteries. Especially compared to much higher voltage options that are pushing 14-15 pounds as runtime needs increase and force larger battery packs.

It appears that they've managed to wring more efficiency out of their brushless motor so that it achieves more torque and RPM with the same amount of voltage - they replaced the brushes with tuned circuitry.

According to Andrew Lentz who is the "Cordless Product Manager" for Milwaukee Tools, the key differences with this trimmer are (1) M18 "High Demand" 9 amp hour battery (2) Solid steel drive shaft connecting the gear box at the head of the trimmer to the (3) "Powerstate" brushless motor located in the tail of the trimmer (as opposed to the business end) and (4) Larger mass cutting head that prevents string backwinding and string memory issues.

Their decision to put the motor in the tail by the battery, forces the need of a drive shaft to connect the motor to the gear box at the trimmer head. Depending on who you ask, this is an advantage or a disadvantage. For example, folks like Ego, Stihl and Dewalt would tell you its a disadvantage due to linkage inefficiencies and energy loss and vibration. Milwaukee touts it very forcefully (and convincingly) as an advantage. It does allow for instantaneous power transfer (pull the trigger and get 100% feedback with no lag) as there is a hard linkage between the motor and the trimmer head. The obvious disadvantage would be that it introduces vibration up through the shaft and into the operator's hands - a major disadvantage of gas powered trimmers. I haven't heard anyone comment on the vibration effects as of yet, but perhaps Dan can comment. He did the second video below.

The Milwaukee product team don't appear to be interested in attachments so its definitely a unique decision to place the motor in the tail absent that requirement. I can't think of any other cordless trimmers that purposely have the motor at the tail (and don't do it just to allow attachments).

Definitely impressed with what we can see from the few videos we have thus far:

• Like 1

Well I know for a fact that my girlfriend's mom has a 20v lithium black and decker weedeater that has the motor in the tail section. It has two speeds, though there is only one trimmer line that spins vs two as a normal weedeater would have.

Personally I can't see how you wouldn't want the motor to be in the rear. Because the head and shaft length, you need something to counterbalance that weight further away. By putting a motor and gearbox near the spool, you only make it unbalanced.

3 hours ago, MikeInCtown said:

Well I know for a fact that my girlfriend's mom has a 20v lithium black and decker weedeater that has the motor in the tail section. It has two speeds, though there is only one trimmer line that spins vs two as a normal weedeater would have.

Personally I can't see how you wouldn't want the motor to be in the rear. Because the head and shaft length, you need something to counterbalance that weight further away. By putting a motor and gearbox near the spool, you only make it unbalanced.

You really should pick up a dewalt or makita cordless string trimmer. They both have the motor near the head.  You actually need that extra weight at the front to counter the battery weight at the back.

If anything Milwaukee sells alot of marketing.  I'll wait on some reviews by real people  before believing any of the milwaukee Kool aid.

@KnarlyCarl

Thanks. If Dan and Eric can do this, anyone can right? Just kidding of course. I really like their reviews as long as Eric can keep Dan awake.

I'm in the market for OPE and want the best equipment available that I can reasonably afford - so I've had to do some real research with all the options out there.

I have an over acre lot with a creekbed running through the backyard that keeps me real busy during spring and summer. I'm tired of small engine maintenance and just started believing in battery power for OPE.

My first need is a string trimmer and brush cutter. So far, I'm considering:

- Ego 56v

- DeWalt 40v

- Greenworks Pro 80v

- Makita 36v

- Sawing the front deck off of an old pushmower (I saw a few of these "homemade" brush cutters on youtube and they are beasts)

- 6500rpm Angle Grinder with brush cutter blade hacked onto a straight shaft weed eater body.

I'm considering the last two above if I decide to wait it out on the Milwaukee rig

• Like 1

Ego seems to be the best right now in terms off performance.

With dewalt introducing flexvolt id be surprises if the 40v wint die a silent slow death

No greenworks in belgium. Couldnt comment.

Makita garden tools are not as strong as ego but very decent and batteries Being interchangable with 120+ other tools is a plus

2 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Makita garden tools are not as strong as ego but very decent and batteries Being interchangable with 120+ other tools is a plus

The idea of 18X2 is to eliminate the cost of extra batteries for OPE, but at least in america you can get a lot of EGO tools with battery for cheaper than a makita bare tool.

• Like 1