I need some Metabo cordless advice

wildroamer

Good morning gangsters,

Ok, I'm so damn frustrated waiting on my Dewalt FlexVolt grinder, you have no idea. If it ever arrives it's probably going up on eBay the very same day, but that's a thread for another day...

So, I really am in need of an angle grinder, and am going to dive into the Metabo line with their sweet LiHD batteries. 

My dilemma is deciding between the 5.5 ah kit, and the 6.2 ah. I'm going with a 4 1/2" grinder, so not sure if the 6.2 would be overkill/bulky/heavy for a relatively small tool like this. Of course there's always future Metabo purchases to keep in mind, hahaha!

Thoughts? Experiences?

http://m.tools-plus.com/metabo-wpb18ltx115bl5-5.html

http://m.tools-plus.com/metabo-wpb18ltx115bl6.html

No experience with Metabo myself but regarding batteries, I try to go with the biggest capacity up until the point where the $/ah doesn't make sense.

For M18 that has meant getting 2.0 over 1.5 compacts, but 5.0 instead of 6.0 XC packs.

I'll be selling my FlexVolt batteries so that any battery I have with 15 cells will be 9.0 ah lol. 

• Like 1

I would if I could, @rrich1, believe me. However, I stupidly sold the free tool that came with it, so I'm out of luck...

Ah. That would pose a problem then.

Regarding your battery issue. I would buy what suits your needs. Being a home owner who does my own stuff I don't always need the largest battery. I am always around chargers and have multiple batteries available. Most likely we will put a battery on a charger before it ever dies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ive got 3 of the non brushless cordless 4.5 grinders and i use them quite a bit working on my car and cutting rebar at work. I dont have the lihd batteries only the 5.2 batteries. It doesnt slow down at all and ive never had it stop on me though ive never tried or had to overoad any of them. I would get a 5.2 non brushless kit as they last about 15minutes of constant load and it can match a 6amp 4.5 corded. But if you want lihd the batteries add more power to my grinder and last longer. 5.5 would be good enough for what i do. Also the brushless and brushed model metabos dont have have a discernable performance difference but brushless is smaller slimmer and lighter also considerably more expensive. You dont need to go through a dealer for the rebate as well i bought a drill from ebay from some random and submitted and they came through. You can find the non brushed models for around 150 to 200.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Done! Order sent!

Now, when can we expect more brushless tools from them, haha!

If they come out with a brushless jigsaw, I'd love to see how it compares to the Fuel and FlexVolt.

I dont think they make a fuel jigsaw or flex jig but id be a over that also which kit dkd you end up gettong

4 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Done! Order sent!

Now, when can we expect more brushless tools from them, haha!

If they come out with a brushless jigsaw, I'd love to see how it compares to the Fuel and FlexVolt.

Sweet, @Stercorarius speaks highly of them and I completely believe it, that would be a nice route to investigate were I in need of a grinder every single day AND wasn't heavily invested in the Milwaukee line. That being said, I use my grinder in the trench cutting clay pipe with a diamond wheel and it works perfect. The bigger AH battery brings it to life! Obviously I also use my grinder anywhere possible, since it's such an awesome grinder that I don't need cords with, and cutting stuff is fun

1 hour ago, wildroamer said:

Oops, I meant to write recip saw, not jig.

I went with the 6.2.

Ordered the worksite light for the freebie.

The numbers are really confusing hopefully you picked the right one I just circled it lol

• Like 1