What kind of wood to use.....

Matty

There are thousands of tree species that milled out can make desirable projects, However for cutting boards you should only focus on using selected types. Maple, walnut, cherry, teak, and bamboo are popular woods. There are many factors to consider when choosing the right materials for cutting boards:
tight-grained woods should be used for any kind of wood projects where food may come in contact, generally you think to use hardwoods but in this case it doesn't depend on hardness but more importantly the type of tree. Hardwoods are angiosperms or mainly known as flowering plants with leaves..... hardwoods have pores to transplant water whereas softwoods are gymnosperms and rely on medully rays.
designing your cutting board is also very important by constructing it so the entire top surface is end-grain, end-grain puts the fibers at the surface of the board so any kind of cutting and scoring run against the fibers instead of across and won't cut into as easy allowing an uneven surfaces so water and bacteria can eventually enter the board.
for example Oak is considered a great hardwood but it is not good for cutting boards because of it's natural design it has very large pores and because of this it can easily harbor bacteria and allow great amounts of water into the board. So your best choices of wood are close grained woods when making cutting boards, they have a tighter smooth grain and makes it tougher to allow bacteria or water to enter.
Another thing to consider is the choice of finishes, use only food safe finishes, not all wood sealer is good when food may come in contact. There are a lot of different looking "safe" woods that can be used to make cutting boards, do a little research and planning and you can make beautiful pieces... good luck......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Decided to apply new finish to this cutting board my cousin made couple years ago, this was couple months ago... water rolls right off it now!

I never used orange beeswax but I do use natural beeswax quite often when I do I usually get my high speed Milwaukee rotary tool out with a buffing wheel to polish it.....