New shop tools

Jaybird

Need specifics, what kind of shop, what do you plan on doing, wood? Metal? What's the budget,

Basics are miter saw, circular saw at minimum but table saw is better, jig saw, drill/driver, whole mess of hand tools, dust collection... list goes on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, justinkendall said:

What size shop? Corded or cordless?

2 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Can only go so cordless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes what Jimbo said,and for a shop where tools would be stationary you would be better of with corded miter saw, table saw, etc. IMO.

25 minutes ago, DaveJr. said:

Yes what Jimbo said,and for a shop where tools would be stationary you would be better of with corded miter saw, table saw, etc. IMO.

For the most part you're right but then there's the odd one like me who is in a small garage with no power along one of the 27' walls. I went with the M18 miter saw because of it. The less portable items like a drill press, planer, jointer, and sander are going on the opposite wall where all the outlets are. I'm more than likely going to have to go with the Dewalt Flexvolt table saw on the same wall due to power. That or pick up the power station.

• Like 1

Cant wrong adding a mid sized router to the mix.  I was always a little scared of them, but we use them constantly at work. So much quicker to cut things a little big, then use a trim bit in a router to clean everything up.  The Porter Cable 690lr is a great place to start.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-690LR-11-Amp-Fixed-Base-Router/dp/B00005QEVQ

35 minutes ago, Jaybird said:

Jimbo- the budget is whatever the Bride says it is.

Story of my life ?

You've got a table saw and a miter saw, so that's something. I assume you have at minimum a cordless drill/driver. If you're going to focus on woodworking from there I'd look at the following 5 iadditional tems to get started. 

1. Sanders: You'll be hard pressed to find a WW project that won't require one for satisfactory results. Get a 5" Random Orbital first. All the big name brands offer decent models. After that you'll look at 1/4" sheet and belt sanders, but the RO would be the one I'd buy first.

2. Router: You won't often hear me advise anyone to buy a cheap tool, but Ryobi routers are a great buy. They aren't bad and can be had for around $60. As for bits, start out with a couple of cheap round overs and ogees, maybe go ahead and grab a couple of rabbiting bits too. You'll figure out what else you need as you progress. Ryobi bits are also cheap and will be sufficient until you figure out your needs. 

3. Kreg Jig: No seriously. For someone starting out they make it really easy to produce good results. I like the K4 Kit. It's not nearly as fancy as the K4 Master or the K5, but it's very functional. 

4. Jig Saw: I like the M12 Milwaukee, but if I were buying a corded model it would be the Bosch barrel grip model JS470EB. 

5. Clamps: Starting out I'd go to Harbor Freight and get 3 or 4 in at minimum 6", 12", 24" and 36". When you get into glueing, you'll have to have them.

Woodworking is hands down the most rewarding thing you can do in your garage. As your skills and creative vision expand, so will your needs and wants.

Pretty soon you'll be looking at at a planer, jointer, biscuit joiner, router table, scroll saw, band saw, a bigger shop, a dovetail machine, benchtop sanders, a bigger version of this, a better version of that, and the list goes on and on. 

It's a little intimidating at first, but it's worth it. You'll spend a lot of money and a lot of time doing this shit and most importantly, your son will learn skills he'll use for the rest of his life. 

Stick around the forums. There's a wealth of knowledge here to help you along the way.

My shop has several mainstay tools in it including a dedicated DC unit, a miter saw, bandsaw, table saw, a jointer and planer, a small drill press and most recently a dedicated power mortiser. The mortiser was a special treat and the drill press is new to the shop within the last year but it is a valuable tool for me now that it is here. Also I have several routers and then an entire system of tools that are compact and fit very specific needs. Asking this question is a really tough question to ask of the members here. Everyone has an opinion and they vary. You could do a lot with a 7-1/4" circular with a bunch of jigs and go on from there.  Or you could go completely nuts and spend 5k in an afternoon at Woodcraft!.

17 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

My shop has several mainstay tools in it including a dedicated DC unit, a miter saw, bandsaw, table saw, a jointer and planer, a small drill press and most recently a dedicated power mortiser. The mortiser was a special treat and the drill press is new to the shop within the last year but it is a valuable tool for me now that it is here. Also I have several routers and then an entire system of tools that are compact and fit very specific needs. Asking this question is a really tough question to ask of the members here. Everyone has an opinion and they vary. You could do a lot with a 7-1/4" circular with a bunch of jigs and go on from there.  Or you could go completely nuts and spend 5k in an afternoon at Woodcraft!.

What mortiser did you pick up?