Planex Mod

overanalyze

So this isn’t my idea. I have seen several guys add led tape light to their Planex. This makes great sense. Thanks to those guys for the original idea.

I didn’t want the wire running all the way down the tubes and I didn’t want to tap into the power of the Planex at all and blow the warranty.

I saw these led lights with USB ends on them. We have Bosch 12v batteries. I ordered an $8 light strip from Amazon and a Bosch 12v heated jacket holster. The holster puts out 5v 1amp through the USB port.

It didn’t work right away. Not sure why. I think maybe something with the holster. It has an on button for the USB that you have to hold for 3 seconds. After fiddling with it for awhile it now works.

I cleaned the area around the head with lacquer thinner. The strip stuck well. Then a little hot glue to hold the wire solid on the head.

Right now just a zip tie holds the holster on the unit. You have to remove the holster to put the Planex back in the case so this seems to work. It lights up around the head nicely.

Milwaukee has a similar holster for their 12v batts and Dewalt makes one for their 20v so this can be made to work with whatever battery platform you want. I like the smaller size and weight of the Bosch or Milwaukee.884f4f0b3085cbf3b48b29eaad357f09.jpg241dbc7216967d7475aefb80294916b4.jpgec8c563df117832bcb4bb35060500c4c.jpg9691fdc7c6cd4808b46ac7959f332b54.jpg

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Wow Andrew, thanks for sharing that, I don't have the Planex but that would be a fantastic idea on my drill press!

Yes !!!! Thinking this would be way better than the crappy tiny light bulb 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overanalyze said:

So this isn’t my idea. I have seen several guys add led tape light to their Planex. This makes great sense. Thanks to those guys for the original idea.

I didn’t want the wire running all the way down the tubes and I didn’t want to tap into the power of the Planex at all and blow the warranty.

I saw these led lights with USB ends on them. We have Bosch 12v batteries. I ordered an $8 light strip from Amazon and a Bosch 12v heated jacket holster. The holster puts out 5v 1amp through the USB port.

It didn’t work right away. Not sure why. I think maybe something with the holster. It has an on button for the USB that you have to hold for 3 seconds. After fiddling with it for awhile it now works.

I cleaned the area around the head with lacquer thinner. The strip stuck well. Then a little hot glue to hold the wire solid on the head.

Right now just a zip tie holds the holster on the unit. You have to remove the holster to put the Planex back in the case so this seems to work. It lights up around the head nicely.

Milwaukee has a similar holster for their 12v batts and Dewalt makes one for their 20v so this can be made to work with whatever battery platform you want. I like the smaller size and weight of the Bosch or Milwaukee.884f4f0b3085cbf3b48b29eaad357f09.jpg241dbc7216967d7475aefb80294916b4.jpgec8c563df117832bcb4bb35060500c4c.jpg9691fdc7c6cd4808b46ac7959f332b54.jpg

Dude.......  BRILLIANT !!!!!!! 

• Like 1

That's slick, saw that floating around on the IG, and I think all tools should come with lighting to light up the area of work, corded tools also. Like what Bosch did to their starlock OMT.

I think they should put lighting in toasters too haha  They have a light in the microwave, and oven, why not toasters, and blenders and coffee pots LOL

ok I'll just put in under cabinet lighting and stop complaining :D

• Like 1

That's slick, saw that floating around on the IG, and I think all tools should come with lighting to light up the area of work, corded tools also. Like what Bosch did to their starlock OMT.

I think they should put lighting in toasters too haha  They have a light in the microwave, and oven, why not toasters, and blenders and coffee pots LOL

ok I'll just put in under cabinet lighting and stop complaining 

LEDs are cheap enough it shouldn't add much production cost

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk