Tool assembly at home

Kiwifella

I had an idea recently: for those who have more time on there hands than money. Buy the complete line up of parts for a tool online, then assemble it yourself. Ive done a bit of checking and it comes out cheaper at least parts wise. Sometimes $100 less, could be more if you new a cheaper parts supplier.

Is this a stupid idea? 

If you’re smart enough to find everything it probably isn’t a stupid idea...IF averaged across enough tools that aren’t going to be to terribly abused. You’d be forgoing any warranty, which most of the time won’t be an issue. Given sufficient intelligence to assemble the things, which in my opinion should be pretty commonplace yet manages to not be...it makes a lot of sense.

Admittedly at this stage of my life I’m not likely to do this myself because the time involved isn’t worthy the cost savings. But in my collegiate years and even early adulthood I would absolutely do it.

I had an idea recently: for those who have more time on there hands than money. Buy the complete line up of parts for a tool online, then assemble it yourself. Ive done a bit of checking and it comes out cheaper at least parts wise. Sometimes $100 less, could be more if you new a cheaper parts supplier.
Is this a stupid idea? 
I totally doubt your numbers. There is no way the tool would not cost several times the going price. Add shipping cost in for good measure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk