Subtle Updates

fm2176

With the advent of new (and much larger batteries), has anyone noticed unannounced updates to older tools?  I recently read about the ToughSystem Music+Charger 2.0, which seems to be capable of using FlexVolt batteries, and am aware of Milwaukee's offer to retrofit some of their lights and other products with parts to enable them to fit HD and HO batteries.  However, if Ridgid announced anything about updating their fan, I missed it.  I picked up a third fan earlier this year and only recently paid enough attention to realize that the battery bay is larger.  I'd tried fitting a 9.0Ah battery in the older ones to no avail, but found that the new one readily accepts these (much) larger batteries.  Sure enough, the battery compartment is larger despite the overall size of the fan being the same. 

This is both great and disappointing.  Much like some people passed on the original ToughSystem Music due to its inability to take larger batteries, I'm mildly upset at the fact that my older Ridgid fans are incapable of accepting the newer batteries.  On the other hand, I'm glad that Ridgid seemingly rectified this by modifying the fans.  After all, battery and tool technology has far surpassed what manufacturers likely forecast when they designed older cordless products. 

Bosch has their circular saw that won't accept the core battery without a retrofit. I think the idea of such large batteries were not on their radar when these tools were designed years ago. Most they were thinking of going smaller and more portable .

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Other tough system 2.0 may be coming. Also the premium cordless omt from DeWALT is getting an update and it is NOT the Atomic version. This one will have a mode selector at the bottom similar to the DCF887. I'm hoping it hasStarlock or at least the open ended Starlock patent I saw