Ryobi gas generator starting problem, solved

mscir

My RYI2300BT wouldn't start unless I used starting fluid. I had clean oil topped off, clean gas, a new spark plug, and a clean air filter. I was taking it apart to remove the carb and break it down when I noticed that the choke butterfly valve wasn't closing all the way when it was in the Start/Choke position. I tightened the cable to the butterfly valve so it closed completely, and the problem was solved. So if you have this model and you find it difficult to start but it runs normally, check to see if the choke is closing all the way.

You can check it without disassembling anything by putting the control knob in the Start/Choke position then seeing if the choke valve is closed all the way or if it will move further. Take up the slack from the cable so the valve closes completely, and try starting it. 

If you want to inspect it visually - remove the 2 nuts that secure the carb to the engine so you can pull off the thick rubber air intake tube running from the carb down to the air cleaner housing, then you can see if the choke valve closes correctly.

Easy fix to a very frustrating problem. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2021 at 8:55 AM, mscir said:

My RYI2300BT wouldn't start unless I used starting fluid. I had clean oil topped off, clean gas, a new spark plug, and a clean air filter. I was taking it apart to remove the carb and break it down when I noticed that the choke butterfly valve wasn't closing all the way when it was in the Start/Choke position. I tightened the cable to the butterfly valve so it closed completely, and the problem was solved. So if you have this model and you find it difficult to start but it runs normally, check to see if the choke is closing all the way.

You can check it without disassembling anything by putting the control knob in the Start/Choke position then seeing if the choke valve is closed all the way or if it will move further. Take up the slack from the cable so the valve closes completely, and try starting it. 

If you want to inspect it visually Safepowering- remove the 2 nuts that secure the carb to the engine so you can pull off the thick rubber air intake tube running from the carb down to the air cleaner housing, then you can see if the choke valve closes correctly.

Easy fix to a very frustrating problem. 

I have a Ryobi ryi2300bta generator that I'm trying to replace the carburetor. It was surging/pulsing so I initially took the carb apart and cleaned it with a spray cleaner only and put it back. It helped some but not perfect. So I decided to take it apart again now armed with a small strand of wire pilfered from some extra electrical wire to clean out the jets also. But after putting it back the second time. It leaks gas. I can kind of see where it leaks but not the exact area. not sure if a gasket is bad or I damaged something the second time. It's leaking at the carb outlet to the engine junction. Not coming from the bowl. I've taken things apart and reassembled mulitple times and still leaks at the same junction. maybe some little part fell out that I didn't notice. So I ordered a new carb from Amazon but it's not the exact one and with different gaskets. I think my model may have two different revisions. I have a new carb that looks the same on the way but no gaskets. I can find the "wrong" carb but same looking gaskets. Ryobi website is not too helpful as there are two part numbers associated with the carb. So amazon and web search gives both as fitting my model. no picture of the carb either if I were to order it from them. can't order new gaskets only. I included pics of the two carbs. Question -what is the second clear hose thingy for. (marked in the pic) The original doesn't have it. thanks