Home Reno

T75R

Hey guys!

My wife and I just bought our first home together and I had a question about a wall that we want down. There’s already an LVL across connected to the support in the wall we want down. My question is how safe is it to support an LVL with another beam pretty much making a T with the beams?? Any suggestions on what to ask the contractor?C614EB93-9530-4891-82C4-6900A6C62BB1.thumb.jpeg.b0737604c259793670f3615722c52e9c.jpeg71A9EE81-3D10-4E1D-B509-FAE974CD99B5.thumb.jpeg.53211136c637824dce8d6b90a9dbd392.jpeg

That "new" vertical laminated veneer lumber (lvl) post is supporting original construction multiple 2x4 studs.

Note that the "new" small header studs are providing zero structural support because they have no support on the ends.

The best course is to study the construction from the attic to the basement to determine and understand where /  how is the load supported, to correct any prior / existing mistakes, then effect any desired changes that provide proper structural support.

• Like 1

Ok yes I see the new veneer beam LVL up top that they put in prior when they removed a wall. My questions would be in order to remove the vertical beam in the picture is it safe to support the LVL on another horizontal beam?

My suggestion remains to study the structure to determine where / how the house load is being supported.

The vertical lvl beam is supporting multiple existing 2x4 posts. The other image shows a similarly placed vertical lvl beam.

It may be that particular location is an important place for load support.

Yes, it is possible to configure temporary load supports, but that depends on first understanding the structure.

• Like 1