Please help me make a list...

BK13

I have some fairly big jobs coming up on my '01 F150 (SuperCrew 4WD Auto 5.4L) that I'm sure I'm going to need some new specialty tools for:

Ball joints

Seals and bearings in the rear axle

I figure I'm going to need a ball joint press of some sort to get the new ones in, but am I going to need something other than a BFH to get the old ones out?

I figure I'll need some sort of seal puller for the rear seals, and probably some sort of puller attached to a slide hammer for the bearings. Will I need some sort of drivers to get the new seals and bearings in?

What I'm looking for are some suggestions as to specific tools (part numbers would be great) for what I'll need. I would prefer US made, but I'm not really in a position to be spending the money on, say, a Snap On BJP1... OTC? Does Proto have something appropriate (and, as importantly, can I justify the price)?

Before you say, "rent or borrow" I have plans to pick up a project vehicle or two to rebuild with my son, so more than likely be used a fair amount (by shade tree standards, at least)... this F150, the GF's Expo, maybe a big Bronco and/or F250, maybe a Grand Cherokee...

Senor Conductor? Mr. WoodstockVA?

Thanks, fellas! 

I can't help you with the ball joints as I have never messed with them but you will most likely need a seal puller for the rear end. What my dad usually does with rear end bearings is cut the outer portion with a chisel and then the rollers pop out and then he chisels the inner portion out. I don't know if you can do that with your truck but if not you can use a slide hammer. A http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00061SGFO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417580298&sr=8-1π=AC_SX200_QL40bearing and seal installer tool will definitely help. Here is an astro pneumatic set of drivers. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00061SGFO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417580298&sr=8-1π=AC_SX200_QL40

OTC slide hammer kit http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015DMNIS/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SS115&simLd=1&dpPl=1&dpID=71LkifY7GkL._SY200_QL15_&slTrans=0&ref=nsDpPl

Hope this helps.

The industrial brands don't really specialize in automotive specialty tools anymore. Most of that market is found on the trucks. Most of those items found on the trucks are rebranded tools made or also sold by someone else like Lisle, OTC, Astro, Sunex, etc., etc., etc., at a drastically cheaper price.

I have the Astro set Nick linked. Not a bad set for the price

For ball joints on trucks/SUV's, consider the Astro 7897 set for $119 

For Seal pullers I've had great luck with my Craftsman branded Lisle puller. There is also an adjustable version.

The slide hammer set Nick posted up is a great value, but I'm a huge fan of Proto pullers. They're just fantastic. The J5040 would be the comparable set to the linked OTC set, but for $20 more I'd consider the J4289B. If you want a very versatile all purpose set, the J4290B that I have will pull just about anything you'll ever need it too. It has all the components of the 4289, with the addition of a gear/bearing separator, 5 lb. slide hammer, short slide hammer rod, rear axle yoke, and blind bearing attachment. It's a little pricy at $449, but it's a great set. All Proto puller parts are completely interchangeable as well, so you can add components as needed over time.