Changing drill gears during operation, cause damage?

alexwang32

Hi, I have a DeWalt 12V cordless drill. Recently while installing wood planks, I accidentally shifted the gear from low speed (1) to high speed (2) while holding the trigger. I heard a werid noise when it shifted over, but everything have been normal after that, the gears shift back and forth normally, and no apparant problems arised.

Though I'm still concerned if there are any damages caused to the transmission, as I read on the Owner's Manual that such action should not be performed. Can someone shed some light on this as I'm quite fond of my drill ;-)

Many thanks?

Heard that sound once or twice on every drill I've had. No damage or broken drills/transmission even after a couple of years.

It have usually happend if I haven't pushed the gear changer in all the way over, or for some other reason it doesn't change the first time.

I would not think you should be worried at all if it have only happened once. Worst case (I think) is a little extra wear on the end of the gears.

• 2 weeks later...