Demo saw

Gymfloor_guy

I've got about 52k sf of a gym floor system that includes 2 layers of 1/2" plywood and 3/4" T&G Maple to take out and replace and was wondering if anyone knew of a walk behind that would help cut it into sections. I thought of a gas concrete saw with a rescue blade on it but the owner is not allowing me to use gas powered indoors. This is a unique situation for size and time constraints and typical tearout can be done with a worm drive although you may burn up 1 or 2 doing so. I need something that will be budget friendly, preferably a rental, and able to help me remove the 52k sf quickly..... Any ideas?

Wow thats a good size job. Your best bet is going to Home Depot and renting something or another local rental place. Your right a gas powered saw would rip through that. Home Depost rents out the Hilti DS which would be perfect for the job. The Hilti is very efficient and doesn't produce a lot of gas fumes etc. Too bad you couldn't do it at night or weekend where it doesn't matter about the gas motor. The problem is that most walk behinds are gas powered because of the application they are used for. Electric wouldn't make it. You would need at least 220V and your not going to find that on everywall. Some of the handhelds you can find in electric. Husqvarna makes some models that run on 110 that might do the trick. Way too much to buy around $800, so you can see if your local rental place has these, if not see what they have.

The only other option I would recommend is when you are driving and see a construction zone, stop and talk with those guys to see if you can borrow one of the walk behind concrete cutters. That would rip right through the floor, plus what is under neath. Just kidding. Dynamite might work.