I think this is so cool Machining Has come Along way....

comp56

Cool video but a little misleading.

As someone who worked in the machining industry for 15 years. The trade is lot more than just loading material in the fixture hitting the button and getting a useable part once the cycle is completed, Depending on the industry you're working on. The tolerances that you're being held too could be as tight as +/- .0005. (That's the diameter of a human hair being split into 4 sections).

You're constantly changing tooling, adjusting offsets and cutter comps all the while your shop manager is telling you not to screw up since that job could make/break payroll that week. I remember working on a part for a turbine assembly that was made of iconel and before it even came to me it had $50k of machining work done on it.

So the bald eagle is cool, but since really it's just a decoration and no real tolerances are being held to it,  

Pretty cool comp, interesting to see that the change in industry how everything is computerized, where 30 years ago you were hiring a guy to run the lathe where now your hiring a guy to program the computer to run the lathe. Nice video as always comp

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool video but a little misleading.

As someone who worked in the machining industry for 15 years. The trade is lot more than just loading material in the fixture hitting the button and getting a useable part once the cycle is completed, Depending on the industry you're working on. The tolerances that you're being held too could be as tight as +/- .0005. (That's the diameter of a human hair being split into 4 sections).

You're constantly changing tooling, adjusting offsets and cutter comps all the while your shop manager is telling you not to screw up since that job could make/break payroll that week. I remember working on a part for a turbine assembly that was made of iconel and before it even came to me it had $50k of machining work done on it.

So the bald eagle is cool, but since really it's just a decoration and no real tolerances are being held to it,  

I hear ya, been in that very hot spot many many times, or how about looking at a job with 3 owners saying this will cost approx. $3.4 million if it gets screwed up......no pressure.........

had one job come from one part of the shop come to me 50 thou under, looked at it 25 times to make sure blue prints were right, measured 25 more times to make sure I was reading it right also........ended up with a revision that was not sent to me yet.......so there are many things that can go wrong ........thank christ it was under and not over or I may have just spit it off to size then it would have been wrong.....lol

When i was still in the trade I was either doing aircraft or medical grade work. The most stressful was the aircraft since the tolerances were so tight and there was zero room for error. More often than not we would be working on small lots of 1-3 pieces with a part that was already allocated for setup and usually that part was so screwed up you couldn't use it for verification purposes.

I then moved into the medical sector where we specialized in artificial knees, hip replacements along with spinal implants. That was the most rewarding since you knew that the parts you were making would ultimately help someone get healthy.

• Like 1