Building in Taiwan collapses; tin cans in concrete as rebar

KnarlyCarl

In third world countries rebar is rare. Thats what caused the horrible tragedies in Haiti. Everything was concrete but didn't have adequate rebar and so it all just crumbled. Then we had Chile a year later get hit by a stronger quake but saw little deaths because they could afford rebar. Sad stuff.

• Like 2

That's insane, shoes how much science goes in to mixing concrete

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember what show I was watching, I think it was on the Science channel, but it was all about the different properties of concrete and how the wrong mixture causes failures. 

I can't remember what show I was watching, I think it was on the Science channel, but it was all about the different properties of concrete and how the wrong mixture causes failures.

Especially moisture content with spalling and reinforced concrete with percentage mix of fiberglass

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah WOW was my reaction too.

Speaking of rebar, I demolished an old cistern in the back of my house and found old metal tractor wheels, rods of all shape and size, some sort of angle iron with rollers on it in the concrete slab. It was quite a bit of scrap money ha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah WOW was my reaction too.

Speaking of rebar, I demolished an old cistern in the back of my house and found old metal tractor wheels, rods of all shape and size, some sort of angle iron with rollers on it in the concrete slab. It was quite a bit of scrap money ha

Tore up some 1950s era pad of concrete and they had filled the concrete with old potato digger pieces instead of rebar. It worked I guess.

Tore up some 1950s era pad of concrete and they had filled the concrete with old potato digger pieces instead of rebar. It worked I guess.

Haha yeah they used what they had. How were you able to tell what piece of machine they came from? They still use those pieces nowadays?

Yeah, or pretty similar. I'm not familiar with potato equipment though so I can't say for sure. I live in the highest potato producing county in the nation so you see parts like them all over. I personally dont work for a potato farmer but people still know a potato digger piece when they see them. I can't find a good picture of a single one on google but they are rods that are bent into a hoop at one end and are linked together to make a digger belt. e4645213c85561c012aba42441589efe.jpg This is the best picture I could find on google.

The cans weren't structural , they were added for aesthetics to make the beam appear bigger. The rebar was present and bent to the wrong angle. The cans weren't rebar!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah yes, I see what you're saying, I'm giving them too much credit.