Speed Bore v. Daredevil

JimboS1ice

1 minute ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Thanks! That was my first video I ever made for TIA. And since it was also my first time using and testing the Milwaukee 2604 drill, I knew that I had to do a good job making the video. And since we have new members like yourself, and are now on a new website, I thought it was a good idea to bring my video back to the attention of the forum. I have several video's on Veoh, so have fun watching them all. You understand when that Bosch 1 - 1/2 inch Spade Dardevil bit went through that 2 by 4 in speed 2 in less then 3 seconds, I was like, holy shit! :P

Had the same reaction when I started messing with the 2704, crazy amount of torque dude! Could you imagine the purple nurples you could give?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Yes, I can imagine quite a lot. BTW, I love your new avatar! You kind of had to change it cause your old one was too blurry on this site. Plus, your new one of Mr Murray is a welcome change. Just remember Jimbo, if your ever in Punxatony, for the love of goodness sake, stay away from that hotel, its curssed! And if you ever hear the words, chapped lips, its cold out there, and get your booties on, you just might have stumbled into a time paradox, in which case, I told you to stay away from that hotel. And if the lady asks you there what your chances of departure are, tell her 0%.

Yea it didn't like the twitter import, but I figured new forum? new picture!

The daredevil bits certainly is a lot cheaper. And it is an very efficient design, in several ways. But I still prefer the speedbores. It's just like they ofer a more "refined" drilling/more control. Like an auger. So it is kind of a different ball game with auger-like bits and the much lighter, smaller and cheaper inherent design of the flat bits. 

My brother, in the electrical trades, throws away all his daredevil bits and most augers for each house he installs the wiring in. I would be certain that he could use an harder and better bit would see more than one use. So I'm not sure if it really is more affordable in the end. It might, or it might not. But certainly feels better, and gives a little neater finish. :) 

The way I see it is I'm not going to pay for or carry around a full set of auger bits.  I have the augers for sizes I use frequently and use daredevils for the rest.  The daredevils are a spade bit replacement, not an auger replacement like the speedbor.  From the couple times I've used them speedbor bits seemed harder on the drills than augers because they have three flutes instead of two.

It might smoke the poor 10,8V EC bosch drill. It doesn't seem to have any (good) cutout. 

Any powerfull drill, like my makita (or MW fuel), would eat it for dinner. Even in second gear, 1/2" wouldn't bother it. And my augers (not including the speedbores) is not especially more demanding than the daredevils. But they are slower. The speedbores are more demanding, and is as quick, but has more controll. And why buy powerfull drills if you use it with only very easy tasks? The corded drill's really isn't any more powerfull. 650 W VS 710W difference, but since it doesn't have gears, it's torque is a lot less. Making the motor strugle much more. Since it either will run at a higher power than rated, or just have less power.

Also, drills in that high-end class all have a pretty agressive cutout if the current/torque goes too high. :) 
Probably the worst things to do to my drills is using them with thick steel 316 SS plates and a step drill bit. Running it at 1/5 of max speed in first gear. That would give it little cooling, and high amp-draw. You can feel the heat, and a bit smell that it has been hard at work.  With augers, I run it at max speed at 2. cond gear. Won't even get the time to heat up. Large augers at full speed in 1. gear.

So I'm just saying, the daredevils are very good spade bits/flat bits, but not a replacer for augers/speedbores. And use them for more awkward sizes you don't use every day is also somthing I myself do. 

Because some people have smoked their drills in the past, that is why Milwaukee chose to put a kickoff circuit into their drills. If you push the drill too far, the power will kick off to prevent you from damaging the drill. Now of course this is a bit of an inconvenience because it means the drill will kickoff on you if your not careful. But when you consider the cost you pay for these tools, I like having the piece of mind knowing that I am not going to smoke the thing accidentally.

In my video you can see my drill kicking off the power when I was trying to drive a 5" holesaw through wood in speed 2, but it did it fine in speed 1.

That's the benefit of brushless motors and their electronics that they seem to use their e-clutch, especially the Dewalt I love that drill, to prevent the drill from smoking out under high load.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Daredevils are the shit, if you experience what I experienced with the, you will fall in love with them. [emoji6]

Did they come to you in a cone of bright white light shining down from up above.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1