HVLP Help

taylorv1

I was given a used HVLP system about a year ago. It is a Graco GTS 2500. I only used it twice. The cup gun isnt spraying. Air is going through it, but the product isn't coming out. I cleaned it out completely too. Anyway, I am looking into possibly buying a new HVLP system. I am wondering, should I just get a new cup gun, a whole new system, or like a Graco airless sprayer. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My experience with cup guns not drawing material properly has almost always been a restricted vent or the fluid tip not being correctly seated. Once in a blue moon the gasket around the plunge shaft not being compressed properly could cause an issue also.

What are ya trying to shoot? what type of paint? did you thin it out?  Sounds like you dont use this much so dont think id spring for an airless. We used airless quite a bit in military painting planes. We used alot of Graco and Devilbiss.

• Like 1

aah,yeah for stains and such a cupgun would be the most logical choice. I see you're in NorCal,whereabouts?  I'm in sacramento vicinity.   Before buying anything id go thru and soak that badboy in some M.E.K. or something like that for a bit and see if you cant get it going.  Titan guns are nice,not really cheap either.

If you do replace it, you might try a gravity cup gun. Those are my personal preference when doing critical detail work. For volume furniture finishing with lacquer I use a pressure pot, and with catalyzed finishes a mixing pressure pot. Airless units I normally reserve for large volume areas.

aah,yeah for stains and such a cupgun would be the most logical choice. I see you're in NorCal,whereabouts?  I'm in sacramento vicinity.   Before buying anything id go thru and soak that badboy in some M.E.K. or something like that for a bit and see if you cant get it going.  Titan guns are nice,not really cheap either.

Im up in Windsor. Just above Santa Rosa. I'll try cleaning it again.

My experience with cup guns not drawing material properly has almost always been a restricted vent or the fluid tip not being correctly seated. Once in a blue moon the gasket around the plunge shaft not being compressed properly could cause an issue also.

This is my cup gun:

(I have Klean Strip Mineral spirits in it right now)

0de8765ccffc1d8be10e51cc3211d068.jpg0d52e1221f71be103bda6e15df5dbfa7.jpgbfacf27c5eb65d728580af5934034116.jpg

What are ya trying to shoot? what type of paint? did you thin it out?  Sounds like you dont use this much so dont think id spring for an airless. We used airless quite a bit in military painting planes. We used alot of Graco and Devilbiss.

2b166d467a995be12f27aa222304001b.jpg

My System

I been wanting to get a HVLP for the workshop.Painting and finishing is my least favorite task, however, I do love to sand though.  Good Luck getting it working.

I hear ya. Sanding sometimes can suck too. I would suggest investing in HVLP if you can. It changes everything.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, taylorv1 said:

I hear ya. Sanding sometimes can suck too. I would suggest investing in HVLP if you can. It changes everything.

Cool, that's what I like to hear I just got a setup from home depot when they had it on sale for the special buy of the day, it's an earlax 4500, got it on sale for $180. 

See here

Cool, that's what I like to hear I just got a setup from home depot when they had it on sale for the special buy of the day, it's an earlax 4500, got it on sale for $180. 

See here

I've seen this advertised quite a bit. Is it good quality? Do you like it?

I've seen this advertised quite a bit. Is it good quality? Do you like it?

Just received it yesterday, will definitely post my results with it soon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1