Asphalt

We need to get our driveway "resurfaced" this spring.  Is better to just pay a company to do it, or do it yourself?  Our driveway is only one car length long x 2 cars wide.  We sort of questions dos one ask a company about their service?  Is there anything to avoid? 

-Steven

Ask what products they use Sealmaster is a good product what part of country are you in find a distributor that sells a professional product and ask what contractor they recommend we get a lot of referrals from our distributor. Being a small driveway you can do yourself but better product from pros not box store that stuff has to be re done almost every year. If you are wanting to put new asphalt I would recommend using a pro for that things to ask what jobs have they done and go see other jobs they have done and what there work looks like so you can see if you like it good luck

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

• Like 3

It really depends on how bad your driveway is currently. A badly cracked driveway will need to be removed before new asphalt can be laid because the new asphalt will just crack apart being that it was applied over a poor base. If the old driveway just looks like crap, but has very few craxks and isn't crumbling, you may be able to seal it or just put a top layer on.

Basically , if the old driveway is so badly cracked that you can kick chunks out of it or if the layers are separating, you'll need to remove that material before laying down any new asphalt. If it is just cracked but there is no loose debris, then you may be able to get away with a simple overlay. The usual on a normal parking lot is 2" which when compacted is about an extra 1" layer. (said same thing, but maybe easier explained)

if you have a couple pics that you can share, we may be able to point you better in the right direction. If you rely on the paving guy for his advice, you are going to be digging everything out. lol

BTW, a new layer of asphalt, if taken care of should easily last you 10 years. I wouldn't think of concrete till way down the road if you do put a new layer down.

• Like 1

Update: I forgot that we need a total garage door replacement, so unfortunately, my only option is to pay the guy $99 for a re-surface.  A few houses in the neighborhood had it done by a local company, and they had good things to say about them. 

-Steven

16 minutes ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

Update: I forgot that we need a total garage door replacement, so unfortunately, my only option is to pay the guy $99 for a re-surface.  A few houses in the neighborhood had it done by a local company, and they had good things to say about them. 

-Steven

Seems like a reasonable deal for a 2 car driveway. Post before and after pics if you can.

-Steven

Just make sure he cleans it up real good before he starts, the cleaner the longer it will last.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well, my only choice now is to do a complete tear-out.  My boy has been working on his truck, and had a major fluid leakage. Although 2 huge bags of oil dry cleaned up the mess, we have decided that we will replace with concrete. If you read my post in the thread, "What did you get today" you will know that I am proud of my boy, for taking the incentive to fix his vehicle, even going has far as going to the pick n' pull for parts. I'm not a mechanic, but I do have experience in doing body work, so I plan on giving him a hand with that project.

• Like 3

Well, my only choice now is to do a complete tear-out.  My boy has been working on his truck, and had a major fluid leakage. Although 2 huge bags of oil dry cleaned up the mess, we have decided that we will replace with concrete. If you read my post in the thread, "What did you get today" you will know that I am proud of my boy, for taking the incentive to fix his vehicle, even going has far as going to the pick n' pull for parts. I'm not a mechanic, but I do have experience in doing body work, so I plan on giving him a hand with that project.

I think concrete is a good idea. Just make sure not over water when you are finishing it!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kruton said:

I think concrete is a good idea. Just make sure not over water when you are finishing it!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I am looking to have it done by a local place, I been researching a few places, and have to down to 2 companies. 

11 hours ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

What leaked? If oil leaked then why worry. Asphalt and the sealers are oil based. If it was some other fluid, then just get a gallon of the purple stuff or other degreaser and scrub it off.

What leaked? If oil leaked then why worry. Asphalt and the sealers are oil based. If it was some other fluid, then just get a gallon of the purple stuff or other degreaser and scrub it off.

I love how you call it the purple stuff and I know exactly what your talking about but can't think of the name either! Lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

I love how you call it the purple stuff and I know exactly what your talking about but can't think of the name either! Lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's actually called purple power. I have a bottle of it in the garage. I also have a couple gallons of the same stuff from Costco, but it isn't purple.