Knock Off Batteries

cliu

I noticed some knock off batteries on line recently. Does anyone have any experiences with them? From what I've seen they seem to be hit or miss with more hit than miss and many people have had some that work as good as the real thing. My primary motivation is not to save money, but to get higher capacity batteries, since some of them like this one are as allegedly high as 6 aH and Ryobi only makes up to 4 aH. If anyone has any experiences with similar batteries, I would like to hear them.

Don't be mistaken, the Ah rating tells you the capacity, not the power. You can push a 4Ah Pack harder than a 18650 6Ah Pack, because it is empty before it can get too hot for instance. And the maximal peak power would be about the same. And I don't know too much of aftermarket batteries, but 40$ for a 6Ah Pack seem a little bit too good to be true. Without knowing i would suspect used 2,5Ah cells or something like that in there. AvE on youtube once had a aftermarked pack with used cells (premium cells, but yeah, can't expect the full lifespan is left). If you buy one please tear it apart and show some pictures, would be very interesting what hides in there.

2 minutes ago, m.k said:

Don't be mistaken, the Ah rating tells you the capacity, not the power. You can push a 4Ah Pack harder than a 18650 6Ah Pack, because it is empty before it can get too hot for instance. And the maximal peak power would be about the same. And I don't know too much of aftermarket batteries, but 40$ for a 6Ah Pack seem a little bit too good to be true. Without knowing i would suspect used 2,5Ah cells or something like that in there. AvE on youtube once had a aftermarked pack with used cells (premium cells, but yeah, can't expect the full lifespan is left). If you buy one please tear it apart and show some pictures, would be very interesting what hides in there.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I don't know enough about it to dare to do that. I will probably buy one just to see how it works though. Also yes, I meant to say capacity not power, thanks for pointing that out. 

I've seen a lot of higher Ah ratings that aren't substantiated after tear downs. Lower quality cells die sooner, have less power output and questionable electronics to prevent damage to the cells in the battery.

I though Ryobi finally gave a release date for their higher capacity batteries?

17 hours ago, BMack37 said:

I've seen a lot of higher Ah ratings that aren't substantiated after tear downs. Lower quality cells die sooner, have less power output and questionable electronics to prevent damage to the cells in the battery.

I though Ryobi finally gave a release date for their higher capacity batteries?

If they did, I would like a link to that because I haven't heard anything other than that it will be coming someday soon. I have done some extensive research and have concluded that the knock off batteries will range widely in quality from as good as the real thing to complete garbage. I bought one and will see how well it works. If it works well, I may get more.

My battery finally arrived. This is a picture of the inside. I didn't see much information on it other than that it is a 18650 battery and 29P whatever that means. I know very little about Li-Ion batteries though so it's hard for me to say. IMG_20171223_204947.thumb.jpg.e32675886822f0074d62c6afb5613427.jpg