Sell Me (or not) on the One+ Edger

fm2176

So, HD has restocked the 3Ah starter kits and I'm sorely tempted to get another, but I literally don't need anything else worth the promo.  I suppose I could settle for a less expensive free tool, but I like to push the $89 limit.  Anyway, the edger is the only tool I might have a use for.

Is it any good?  Any reason to get one versus just using the DeWalt string trimmer to edge driveways and such?  The starter kits are going fast again and the promo ends in a few days so I will likely be unable to take advantage of it again anyway, but on the off chance a kit is still on display, is there any reason to steer away from the edger?

As an aside, are any other tools offered in the promo worth it?  I have DeWalt, Milwaukee Fuel, and Ridgid brushless driving and cutting tools, so I have little interest in adding green saws or drivers to my inventory.  Radios are covered by DeWalt, lights by Milwaukee, and sanders and routers by Ridgid.  Is the caulking gun or anything else worth the price of admission?  

I considered buying the Ryobi edger a little while ago. I changed my mind after having read too many reviews mentioning issues with the automatic feed system. That thing works by advancing the line every time the trigger is released, the problem is that it does so at a fast rate and regardless of whether more line is actually needed.

Other than that, using a somewhat equivalent unit (Makita DUR181Z), I find the low weight and, more importantly, the pivoting head invaluable for edging. It is imho entirely justified to have an edger to complement a bigger string trimmer and use it for finishings. However I would personally not get the one from Ryobi, especially if I don't own their batteries.

Moreover, if you are only interested by an edger, the newly released WG170 from Works seems superior in every way and comes with kitted batteries.

• Like 1

Thanls for the input.  I decided against getting the edger, and though I thought that today was supposed to be the last day of Ryobi Days, the promo signage was all taken down yesterday.

The TTI reps here in central VA have been very proactive; I've seen them at least five different times in various stores in the past week alone, usually working in teams of two or three.  By comparison, the rep that services the Columbus, GA, and the Phenix City and Opelika, AL stores is usually only there on weekends.

Regardless, I think I have all of the Ryobi I want for now, besides the narrow crown stapler.  I have two each of the new 3 and 6 Ah batteries to run them, which pales in comparison to my other battery systems but should do everything I need.