10 inch or 12 inch miter saw

redbirdone

I think I'm in the market for a new miter saw.  I currently have a Festool Kapex, about 3 years old.  Used it to do a lot of trim work in my house, remodel my mom's house and then to help build and trim out my brothers house he/we built, but now we are done with all the big projects and the Kapex is overkill for what I need for the near future so I think selling it now I can maximize its value.  It has been a phenomenal saw, can't ask for more other than the arbor size is a pain in the rump as you have to have specific arbor sized blades. It's still in great shape as we took care of it and treated it like a princess.  No pressure treated wood, no non wood materials (except some MDF mouldings, but no plastics or metals), cleaned it up almost every day after we used it.

So plan is to sell the Kapex for as close to $1K as I can and then pick up either a 12" or 10" saw to use as a weekend warrior.  Just not sure if I should go 10" slider, 12" slider or 12" non slider.  12" slider is too big, IMO, but the Bosch glider changes the game there.  Whatever I get, I have a Ridgid MSUV to mount it on. 

I'm not looking to get into a brand war - I'm going to get either Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Ridgid, Milwaukee.  Just want to know if you bought a 12" non slider and wish you had a 10" slider, or have a 12" slider that never gets used to capacity, or whatever.  I have never had a 12" saw, just wondering if there is any benefit to it.  

For the record, use will be homeowner type things.  Maybe remodel a room here or there, I do need to put in about 1,500 sq ft of flooring in the next few months, and will be replacing all the exterior trim this fall.  I have a 8 1/4" craftsman miter saw that I use for rough work, provided the work is small enough to use it with, if that makes any difference.  

I'm not leaning one way or the other, just know I have options.  In a perfect world I would keep the Kapex, but I don't really see a need for it and think I can come out ahead on cash.  

Wow. Blasphemy!!!!

Seriously though, if your going to sell it and buy another you really need to think of what you are going to use the saw for. I always say SCMS. It covers all uses. If you think you don't need a slider or a double bevel you could just got out, drop 75-100 on a basic non slider with a single bevel and pocket whatever monies you make. If your serious about getting a good saw and are intent on selling the Kapex, any of the big brands will suit your needs. They ALL make good saws. Add a new blade and you've got a machine to fit all of your jobs. 

I would add the my most used tool in the shop is my miter saw. Followed by my table saw.

• Like 1

I am a Festool guy.  Have a lot of their tools.  Multiple sanders, drill, lights, jig saw, MFT, TS75, routers, both dominos, and most importantly - dust collectors.  All were used in the remodel of my mom's house and when building my brothers house.  The Festool system was especially valuable during my mom's house remodel as I could contain the dust to the particular area I was working in.  And their systainer system was great.  I have a day job so any time I can save cleaning, moving, etc is well worth it. 

I am keeping all the other Festools as I plan to build a new home in the next year or two, but when it comes to miter saws I don't see the edge it has vs the competition, especially when using it as a single builder or weekend warrior.  

I'm just wondering what size to get - 10 or 12 and then slider or not.  Obviously I don't think a 10" non slider will be sufficient, but what about 10" slider vs 12" non slider?  Ridgid and Dewalt have some nice 12" non sliders around the $200-250 range that may be all I need.  That's kinda where I'm leaning right now.  

Well the Kapex is capable of doing the cuts of a 12" saw so you are probably used to having that ability. I used to have a Ridgid miter saw but right from the store, the fence and base were out of square. I ended up selling it. Dewalt has a phenomenal 12" the DWS780. Milwaukee makes an awesome 12" slider. Hitachi also has the  C12RSH slider. Bosch has the 12" Axial Glide and has just released a new slider, the CM12SD. Makita also has a great one, the LS1216. Each of these saws is available in a ten inch model which will be a little more cost effective. Personally I like 10" saws. The blades are cheaper and it is rare for me to need to go up in size but my Kapex functions as a 10 with ability to go 12 and the dust collection is vitally important to me in my small shop. I did a lot of research before my purchase but the ones I listed, I ended up doing a lot of research on. All of those saws feature a slider and dual bevel.  To me, having those features is important. Especially when cutting trim. They are all fantastic saws. But like I said, if you really want to save some cash you can go with Ridgid (lifetime warranty) or Ryobi (save a lot of money and get a decent no thrills saw). Personally, I like the 10" dual bevel saw from Ridgid but the reviews were meh....and I already had a problem saw from them. So really, it's up to you. If you are building a new home, I can certainly see going to a 12" saw and being able to cut most anything on your work site and you are used to having that ability to go to 12 capacity. 

Also note, the reason I purchased the Kapex over all of those other awesome saws? I lucked out a couple of years ago during the Festool Recon sale and got the last one at 40% off. It was too good of a deal for me to pass on. There is no comparison in my opinion at that point. Again DC is really important to me. I was really aiming for the Dewalt (1st), the Milwaukee and the Bosch Axial. The Dewalt has the XPS light which is by far the best work light in all of the saw categories (including Festools laser- which is awesome, just the XPS is better). The other ones listed were my runner ups. All great options.

I don't have hardly any experience with miter saws, but when I get one, it will most likely be the new Bosch glide 12" model. I like that you don't have the rails out the back, and probably more importantly, I'm a bit of a Bosch fanboy. And I worry that if I buy one of the smaller saws, I'll start running into all sorts of situations where I NEED a 12" saw for whatever reason, and I'll end up having to spend more money.

Of course, then I would have TWO miter saws....

• Like 4

I don't have hardly any experience with miter saws, but when I get one, it will most likely be the new Bosch glide 12" model. I like that you don't have the rails out the back, and probably more importantly, I'm a bit of a Bosch fanboy. And I worry that if I buy one of the smaller saws, I'll start running into all sorts of situations where I NEED a 12" saw for whatever reason, and I'll end up having to spend more money.

That was my thought process when I got the little Kobalt, will be good for portability and quick set up without lugging a big boy around, she'll hold me over for now

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just know I don't think it has any kind of alignment system like a laser or shadow line. The only down side to a perfect saw. 

Oh... that's true? I forgot.... I still think it's pretty figgin sweet tho!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BK13 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  I wish more manufacturers would go with that system but I'm guessing Bosch has a patent.