The 9ah lives.

Hugh Jass

I think I agree ^^ :)

I would only argue that altering the 'Ah' rating of the battery will confuse people, and that we're best of just continuing to address the fact that 20V Max is really just 18V.

9 hours ago, dwain said:

I think I agree ^^ :)

I would only argue that altering the 'Ah' rating of the battery will confuse people, and that we're best of just continuing to address the fact that 20V Max is really just 18V.

The reason DeWALT went with 20V Max versus 18V was strictly a marketing decision. They were making a change in the battery mounting system. Going from slide in the grip to slide on the grip. They did it purely to reduce confusion. Bosch went through a similar change first and had issues with people having one tool and ending up with the wrong battery mounting system when they purchased replacement batteries or usually when the owner sent someone else (like the wife) to pick up an extra battery. They did it strictly to avoid the confusion. They were working to prevent issues with the dumbest guy in the room, not the smartest.

The more surprising thing to me is that they didn't do the same for the 12V lines although there are far fewer of both the 12V Max and 12V NiCads out there. I think it is because the 14.4 was so much more popular with more available tools.

Why do people get all hot and bothered from DeWalt using 20v max for the naming of their 18v battery line? It is not lying or deceiving as it is technically true. Every manufacturer here in us does it with their 12v battery line as those tools are all 10.8v nominal and 12v max. Both are correct. To me, it is up to the end user to do their research, feel the tool, and know what the product is they are buying.

• Like 2

Because it's misleading nonsense. North America should be more like Europe w regards to bullshit marketing. M12/12V Max is also garbage nomenclature that shouldn't exist. 

Its not not lying per se, but is definitely deceiving. "Technically true". That you have to point out a technicality highlights the deceit. 

Is it important in the grand scheme of things? No, but it's all on the same slippery slope as exaggerated torque numbers/capability on these tools, or auto manufacturers with "best fuel economy. Most power. Most hauling. Most towing.* (*4 separate engine and cab configurations)". It's disingenuous and borderline anti-consumer.

2x4, 2x6 etc lumber isn't really that, 16x20x1 pleated furnace filter isn't exactly that size, 100,000 BTU furnace isn't what you're really getting, 9 amp vacuum motor is a huge stretch of the imagination, and on and on.....

Even our tax forms round up or down to the nearest dollar, it's all over the place.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I didn't mean to start a 18 vs 20 volt war just that a couple of points of AH here or there really doesn't mean a whole lot. Also I think it's odd that the 12 volt lines are really 10.4 but I think it's more not wanting to use a decimal. M12 rolls off the tongue easier than M10.4... 

I guess it makes sense that Dewalt wanted to differentiate between the old 18v stick packs from the modern 20v slide ons, but then again it's funny they offer the adapter now to run the new packs on the old tool despite the 20-18 incompatibility ? 

• Like 1

The crazy numbers I see on the US electric tools/appliances are just bewildering. Exaggeration happens all over the place. 

Take these hifi stereo systems for example. They have maths to back up that 2450W rating, it's just REALLY bad math. I guarantee the amp has an input voltage around 400-500W https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/home-theatre/sony/sony-ht-m77-7-2-channel-muteki-home-theatre-system/554323/

I dislike that a lot. I dislike the US appliance nonsense ampere claims. I dislike claiming 20V instead of 18V a little.

In Australia Dewalt were not allowed to call their gear 20V. I wish there were more regulations like this to prevent consumers from being misled.

• Like 4

I would really like to see tools with power dials that go to ELEVEN, be way more powerful than just TEN. Also I have the new Dewalt orbital sander and the speed dial only goes to I think SIX!!! Come one Dewalt make it at least TEN...ELEVEN would be sweet though ?

43 minutes ago, dwain said:

Exactly, total nonsense. 6HP is ~750W x 6 = 4500W. This is 37.4A out of 120V wall plug ..... :P

Ridgid even has the 6.5HP, but they also say *PEAK HP to denote the difference. That said, it also owns everyone else in the CFM department so it is still a function to vaguely measure how powerful it is.

On 6/28/2016 at 10:28 PM, JerryNY said:

I didn't mean to start a 18 vs 20 volt war just that a couple of points of AH here or there really doesn't mean a whole lot. Also I think it's odd that the 12 volt lines are really 10.4 but I think it's more not wanting to use a decimal. M12 rolls off the tongue easier than M10.4... 

I guess it makes sense that Dewalt wanted to differentiate between the old 18v stick packs from the modern 20v slide ons, but then again it's funny they offer the adapter now to run the new packs on the old tool despite the 20-18 incompatibility ? 

I don't know the exact percentage, but my guess is there is probably 60-75% usability of old tools with new packs. The chargers will not work with it (it would be unsafe if they did). My understanding is the products with doors (the vacuum) and some of the lights won't, but the drills, saws and impact drivers will work with the new packs.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy MSG said:

I don't know the exact percentage, but my guess is there is probably 60-75% usability of old tools with new packs. The chargers will not work with it (it would be unsafe if they did). My understanding is the products with doors (the vacuum) and some of the lights won't, but the drills, saws and impact drivers will work with the new packs.

I was being mildly sarcastic because there isn't really an incompatibility between 18 and 20 because they really are all 18. That being said I don't recall the voltages of the cells in the old nicads though. It is nice to be able to slap modern lithium batteries on old tools to give them more life. I know the old Ryobi stuff I have ran like new tools slapping the new pack on them. I have an old Ryobi 5-3/8 circular saw running the new 4.0 lithium packs with a Diablo blade on it and it stopped me from bothering getting an M12 fuel mini circ because it works so well. I already have the full sized fuel anyway but I keep that thing handy in the garage for any quick cuts I need. I'd imagine the same goes for Dewalts trusty old tools that get a new pack slapped on them...