Hackzall Comparison! Bosch v M18 vs M12 FUEL

dwain

Edit still not working for me. Grr. I should clarify what I mean by "sucks". Clearly, it's a capable tool. I just don't like the size and weight. What I want, is the M12 with an M18 slide pack and grip. I have a full size recip for the heavy tasks. These tools, imo, are aimed at plumbers and electricians cutting tubing and conduit etc. Lighter the better. I'm very happy with my M12 Fuel and have used it extensively for a variety of tasks. Cutting down dimensional lumber is not something I would use these tools for aside from being in a pinch. Also, full size blades are a weakness of these tools because they don't have adjustable shore, so can't make use of the full blade length easily. Thanks for the great video Dwain!

I've cut a lot of things with the M12 Fuel Hackzall; I cannot bog it down, I've cut 4" thick live tree branches and a 3.5" to 4" steel pipe(for a basketball hoop) with it. Power doesn't seem to be the issue compared to a Sawzall, just speed...and that's insane.

It also looks ridiculous with a full sized reciprocating saw blade and you'll get second looks putting one on it...then third and fourth looks after you cut right through.

• Like 3

Edit still not working for me. Grr. I should clarify what I mean by "sucks". Clearly, it's a capable tool. I just don't like the size and weight. What I want, is the M12 with an M18 slide pack and grip. I have a full size recip for the heavy tasks. These tools, imo, are aimed at plumbers and electricians cutting tubing and conduit etc. Lighter the better. I'm very happy with my M12 Fuel and have used it extensively for a variety of tasks. Cutting down dimensional lumber is not something I would use these tools for aside from being in a pinch. Also, full size blades are a weakness of these tools because they don't have adjustable shore, so can't make use of the full blade length easily. Thanks for the great video Dwain!

Yes, I use the m18 for cutting pipe over 2" and it's awesome for that since I can hold the pipe in one hand and the saw in the other.... Bit more awkward using the sawzall for that

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

yeah we have that model in Australia, though I've never held one.

This test was about the hackzalls, 18v really. I included the M12 FUEL because its brushless and people thought it might be competitive. Including the regular 12v models from Makita, Bosch or Milwaukee would not have been a fair fight at all.

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

True. I've yet to hear a positive sentiments about the brushed M12 Hackzall. "It's small" is about the most positive thing I've read about it lol. 

It's not a bad tool at all. It does have it's limitations, you can bog it down but it will cut through a lot of materials. I'm sure you could get by if you were using it for tree trimming and plumbing. It's biggest fault is that it has poor battery life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dwain said:

yeah we have that model in Australia, though I've never held one.

This test was about the hackzalls, 18v really. I included the M12 FUEL because its brushless and people thought it might be competitive. Including the regular 12v models from Makita, Bosch or Milwaukee would not have been a fair fight at all.

Makita's has a compact 18v https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XRJ01Z. Althought I dont believe it would compete with the other 18v's. 

This was the one I was referring to.

The 18v doesn't seem any worse especially considering its $99.

The dual trigger 1 hand / 2 hand operations are pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured. I didn't want there to be any confusion with the 12v recip saw being posted later in the thread since they look identical. I have it and it is nice. One handed operation is great. having a dual trigger is ice for different t scenarios

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

True. I've yet to hear a positive sentiments about the brushed M12 Hackzall. "It's small" is about the most positive thing I've read about it lol. 

It fits nicely in my Milwaukee 13" box and use it for cutting tubular ptrap pipe, which I do a lot of, and some threaded rod, small things like that.... The fuel version was much more bulky and wouldn't fit in my box near as well

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1