Milwaukee e-service problem

AnonymousJoe

I'm a little ticked right now. I sent my fuel drill in last week for service because I had 3 issues- smoking motor, occasionally the drill would go unresponsive which I've overlooked all this time but since I was sending it in I thought I'd let them know about it, and a wobbly chuck which again just thought I'd let them know about it. I got my drill back today with a new chuck on it and the other issues where not checked or resolved. Called Milwaukee and all they could say is their ticket says nothing about the motor burning and only shows the chuck problem listed. Not sure how that gets messed up, I have the copy of the e-service ticket I filled out that shows all 3 issues listed. 

Yes I did, 1 copy in the box and 1 copy for myself like it said, and ur right I didn't think about that so even with a copy they still messed it up. The woman I spoke with was the opposite of helpful and I felt like I was talking to eeyore. I'm going to call back tomorrow and see if someone can help me. Obviously I need to send it back again but maybe they can expedite the shipping or do  something but I need my drill I use it everyday

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well got my drill back today. They replaced the armature. I'm not sure what that is but hopefully it's fixed and I'll try it out at work tomorrow. I will say this tho about the new chuck they put on it-zero wobble! I even put an old hammer drill bit in it just to see and it spins as true as I've ever seen so I'm really happy to see that! The old wobble really used to bug me. 

So can anyone tell me what the armature is?

• Like 2

Here's a quick article I found explaining an armature. It makes sense. My drill first smoked a little a few months ago, very little so I shrugged it off but I did notice that it didn't have the power/torque that it used to have

Yea I just smoked an m12 drill the other day [emoji51] wasn't happy I'll have to see if I can warranty it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, AnonymousJoe said:

Well got my drill back today. They replaced the armature. I'm not sure what that is but hopefully it's fixed and I'll try it out at work tomorrow. I will say this tho about the new chuck they put on it-zero wobble! I even put an old hammer drill bit in it just to see and it spins as true as I've ever seen so I'm really happy to see that! The old wobble really used to bug me. 

The armature is the motor windings (ie. the thing that was smoking) so I'd be impressed if that doesn't fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops I forgot a detail in that update! Their service was really good- after all that they emailed me a survey and I told them about what happened and they shipped me a new drill, so they definitely righted their wrong. Unfortunately tho I assumed my drill was fixed so I gifted the new drill to my father in law and now I'm back to square one! So looks like I'll have to dish out for another drill now but I'm still curious why the drill is acting the way it is if the armature was replaced. Maybe some bad wiring left in there?

• Like 1

I have a new M18 fuel drill and mine wobbles a good bit. Really starting to bother me!! Especially since it's only about eight months old! I played with a few at Home Depot on display the other day and they all wobbled as well. I'm guessing that they're just not very precision like that used to be

On 11/19/2016 at 3:46 AM, olletsocmit said:

I have a new M18 fuel drill and mine wobbles a good bit. Really starting to bother me!! Especially since it's only about eight months old! I played with a few at Home Depot on display the other day and they all wobbled as well. I'm guessing that they're just not very precision like that used to be

They all wobble, the only ones that didnt wobble are the first generation first model gen 1 fuel drills. Sometimes its the bit though that makes the wobble outrageous otherwise it really doesn't mess with anything. If you want zero wobble you should get a keyed chuck drill, makita xph07, metabo or any of the other german tool makers (Sans Bosch, they wobble crazy).

Between my 2704 drills and my co worker's they do all seem to wobble. The only one that didn't is the new chuck they put on my old drill.  I'll get my new drill in the mail tomorrow but if that one wobbles I'll just swap out the chucks.  I had a dewalt 985 and a 996 that both had zero wobble. I was actually really impressed with the 996 I just have so many Milwaukee tools and I don't want another battery platform so I returned it.  

A little off topic but it's my thread so what the hey- I've noticed since the dewalt 996 came out there haven't been really any drill fights posted anywhere except for jimbo's video. Now I'm a Milwaukee guy but after using the 996 for a few weeks I really think itll come out on top.

1 hour ago, AnonymousJoe said:

A little off topic but it's my thread so what the hey- I've noticed since the dewalt 996 came out there haven't been really any drill fights posted anywhere except for jimbo's video. Now I'm a Milwaukee guy but after using the 996 for a few weeks I really think itll come out on top.

Dewalt uses gear ratio vs milwaukee's Amp draw on their motor, I think the gearing has reduces the vibration tremendously at high speed on the dewalt thus reducing chuck wobble, but yeah RoHM chucks are infinitely better than the shitty chucks they have on the milwaukee drills. All chucks have a bit of wobble except for the makita drill, for some reason I think that one is extremely well balanced and there isnt much or any wobble at all.