Shop help.

Jronman

So I am designing a woodshop and wanted some help/ideas. Possibly 40'x40' wood frame if I can get it to fit code and I can get the money. If I have to downsize I may try 20' by 20'. I know there's regulations on minimum size of yards of residential homes. I don't remember what they are. My yard is maybe 60' to 70' from back wall of house to the back edge. It might be 100' or more from the side to the opposite side of the yard but I haven't measured. Will be expensive but Id rather go a little higher quality than go cheap and regret it after the shop is built. I figured about $20,000 for 4 walls each insulated and drywalled, and a finished roof. its a pretty rough estimate.

1) I want to install a tv and a speaker system so I could have the option of watching tutorials in my shop, and it could also be a way for my dad to listen to talk radio while he works outside. Was thinking a speaker in each corner at the ceiling and the tv mounted on the wall maybe in a corner or something.I don't want just any tv or speakers but I want ones that aren't gonna go bad when exposed to dust or anything else they could be exposed to in a woodshop. Is there any decent ones out there that could do the job? I doubt there's any ip rated tvs or surround sound style speakers out there but I could be wrong. Maybe I don't need to worry about it.

2) Would a fan built into the wall moving the air from inside the shop to the outside help with dust, finish, fumes, or any other airborne material/chemical that may need managed?

3) I was planning on having an overhead door, another access door

4) a window or 2 Possibly a skylight if economically feasible or worth it, How much should I include for good light? What kinds should I include? Also how much other lighting should I include? I was thinking LED lights because of the power savings, long lifespan, and a more pleasing kelvin color than incandescent or cfl in my opinion. 

5) Some kind of lumber/sheet good storage. whether it be a covered shelving system outside or something else?

6)some kind of work surface whether it be a mobile table and/or a non-movable worktable/bench

7) the Dewalt 12 in sliding flexvolt saw with a nice fence system

8) a Powermatic tablesaw with router lift,

9) a french cleat system for tool storage.

10) a power outlet or 2 that would support more powerful tools like the table saw

11) A few small power tools like Dewalt 20v brushless planer, Dewalt 20v multitool, Bosch orbital sander and sheet sander, Dewalt flexvolt drill and impact kit, Dewalt flexvolt tracksaw

12) cathedral ceiling for a bit of extra headroom. Not sure if it should be trussed or not.

13) some bar clamps, various screws/fasteners, glue, draw slide jig, pocket hole jig, handle/knob jig

Anything else you guys think I should have/change or would be an essential woodshop feature/tool?

Two things that come to mind off the bat: 

Lumber storage does NOT go outside. You need to be controlling the moisture content of your lumber to make sure it's 12% or less (generally) for stability. For this you need to install air conditioning and keep your lumber inside, I'd suggest a split mini system to acclimate your space as they can be had with great efficiency and ease of installation as well as maintenance as keeping it clean is vital. Even if you open your shop during the day this can be turned on at night to help keep the levels down. 

Next is dust extraction. Starting from scratch I suggest you make this your top priority as far as built in functionality. Great ventilation and circulation are key, I suggest doing good research on this to see the kind of systems that are available, and there will be plenty of options that should fit within your budget and help to keep you healthy and your shop clean. Don't skimp here. 

Also as far as IP rated TV's, I'd buy a normal one and box it with a sheet of glass across the front instead and seal it. That way you can just hit it with a blower once in awhile and wipe it without having the fire risk and heat buildup problems from the inside of the unit. 

• Like 1

is this a rough estimate of $20,000 for the entire project cause I have close to that in screws, pocket jigs, router bits, glue, clamps, sandpaper and stain.....and we are not even talking stationary or portable power tools yet......and I'm in a basement shop....

• Like 2

was $20,000 for the 4 exterior walls, the roof, and the concrete slab only (forgot to mention the concrete earlier). nothing else was taken into account. Just used a quick price search on google so its not very accurate especially for my local area. Not sure how much electrical would be. Probably be expensive if I would have to upgrade to 200. The table saw alone is a couple thousand dollars. The flexvolt saw is a bit short of $1000. Probably another couple thousand for random tools. All said and done I'm probably looking at close to $30,000 or more. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Two things that come to mind off the bat: 

Lumber storage does NOT go outside. You need to be controlling the moisture content of your lumber to make sure it's 12% or less (generally) for stability. For this you need to install air conditioning and keep your lumber inside, I'd suggest a split mini system to acclimate your space as they can be had with great efficiency and ease of installation as well as maintenance as keeping it clean is vital. Even if you open your shop during the day this can be turned on at night to help keep the levels down. 

Funny thing is I actually built an outside lumber storage for my boss this summer who has built over 200 custom houses. I notice the wood is dirty and is starting to grey from weather. Not something I want with my wood. I was kinda leaning toward an inside solution because of the weather, dirt, and air humidity. I'll try to figure out something for storing wood inside. Thanks for the help.

Next is dust extraction. Starting from scratch I suggest you make this your top priority as far as built in functionality. Great ventilation and circulation are key, I suggest doing good research on this to see the kind of systems that are available, and there will be plenty of options that should fit within your budget and help to keep you healthy and your shop clean. Don't skimp here. 

Agreed. planning on starting with a shop vac then upgrading to a stationary system. hepa cyclone vacs or whatever they are called.

Also as far as IP rated TV's, I'd buy a normal one and box it with a sheet of glass across the front instead and seal it. That way you can just hit it with a blower once in awhile and wipe it without having the fire risk and heat buildup problems from the inside of the unit. 

Thats a great idea. could even have other electronics inside the case if I don't want them to get dirty. 

In the first shop that I built for myself, I was trying to keep costs to a minimum and used a cathedral truss to give myself some extra headroom. While this worked well enough, in the long run it caused some issues with fixtures added in at later dates. The expansion onto this shop was built with ten foot studs and a flat ceiling. The difference in cost wasn't major in the overall scheme of things, and ended up allowing me to install some overhead equipment that would not have happened with an eight foot height.

I also used a four foot fan in one end of my first shop and it was a god send in the summer, but also became a dust trap that needed regular cleaning. You would also need to check local regulations about placement and would probably not want to point one towards a property line of any neighbors. General wind direction should also be considered. If you are going to be spraying any finishes, you should also look into a non spark version with appropriate motor with filters in front of it.

As previously stated, outside storage is not a good idea, but a compressor shed/lean to might be to control noise and keep the elements off of it.

13 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Personally, I'd get it setup how I want it first and then do overhead drop down reels for power and air. That would be about $300 per reel though.

I don't know how easy it will be to go air free but I'ma try to go as cordless as possible. Not a big fan of compressor noise and I either seem to trip on cords or hose or have a hard time finding a plugin. I guess I'll have to see when the time comes. I may change my mind.

20 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I don't know how easy it will be to go air free but I'ma try to go as cordless as possible. Not a big fan of compressor noise and I either seem to trip on cords or hose or have a hard time finding a plugin. I guess I'll have to see when the time comes. I may change my mind.

I use my air compressor alot just to blow stuff off.  

Such as projects, tools, have enough air hose to reach indoors and out if needed and alot of other things I use it for. 

You might be surprised how much you would use it?.

9 minutes ago, JMG said:

In the first shop that I built for myself, I was trying to keep costs to a minimum and used a cathedral truss to give myself some extra headroom. While this worked well enough, in the long run it caused some issues with fixtures added in at later dates. The expansion onto this shop was built with ten foot studs and a flat ceiling. The difference in cost wasn't major in the overall scheme of things, and ended up allowing me to install some overhead equipment that would not have happened with an eight foot height.

should I go 12' ceiling or stick with 10'? Was already planing on a cathedral truss ceiling for extra head room. Would I still need cathedral if I go 12' ceilings? What equipment did you instal if I may ask?

9 minutes ago, JMG said:

I also used a four foot fan in one end of my first shop and it was a god send in the summer, but also became a dust trap that needed regular cleaning. You would also need to check local regulations about placement and would probably not want to point one towards a property line of any neighbors. General wind direction should also be considered. If you are going to be spraying any finishes, you should also look into a non spark version with appropriate motor with filters in front of it.

I would point it towards the back edge of the yard because a row of trees lines the back. Two trees in the middle of the tree line are coniferous so it would be a good barrier. Dust would just blow into trees. 

9 minutes ago, JMG said:

As previously stated, outside storage is not a good idea, but a compressor shed/lean to might be to control noise and keep the elements off of it.

I agree. I'm not a fan of loud shops. 

1 minute ago, LarryS said:

I use my air compressor alot just to blow stuff off.  

Such as projects, tools, have enough air hose to reach indoors and out if needed and alot of other things I use it for. 

You might be surprised how much you would use it?.

Yeah a compressor is handy to blow dust off stuff. Would a vac work just as well? It would sure keep the dust levels down. In terms of fastening I have the option of screws or cordless nailers. I probably will use a lot of pocket holes and glue to start out but may try more complex fastening techniques as my skill level increases. 

Ten foot flat ceiling is more than enough for a small shop. Twelve foot would be a bit overkill, unless you are building walls out of cement block and/or plan on some type of mezzanine. Above eight foot height cathedral ceilings are a waste and cause issues if you need to access attic space to modify any utilities.

As far as equipment, I installed a beam trolly the length of the shop on the back half with an air powered hoist and used a vacuum pad adapter to move large panels and other items around the shop. I would post pictures but currently do not have any of them digitized.

The vacuum lift also allowed me to load and unload panels from a storage rack built into the far end of the shop, and the beams used as runners for the trolly actually helped to stabilize the truss' used on that section. Loads never exceeded three hundred pounds on the trolly lift, so there were no worries there. Sounded like a massive bass drum when used (attic was like an echo chamber).