Tool awards.

regopit

30 minutes ago, kruton said:

Not so much for me. Generally when I'm buying a new tool I have a pretty good idea which direction I am going. I sometimes look around to make sure I haven't missed something though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Took the words right out of my mouth.

To add to that, I do have  a few impulse buys I'll indulge in when deals are posted here or instagram or I stop by the clearance rack at Menards! 

• Like 2

Took the words right out of my mouth.

To add to that, I do have  a few impulse buys I'll indulge in when deals are posted here or instagram or I stop by the clearance rack at Menards! 

Yeah, gotta love the impulse buys.

• Like 1

I would have to say that tool reviews affect my tool choices more than any award a tool receives. I tend to be a bit skeptical of awards by individual blogs or sites that do not consider user opinions in the process.

They affect my purchasing decision insofar as blogs occasionally give out awards to tools that I've never heard of or have been unaware of. I then can go research all about these spiffy new toys and start coming up with justifications as to why I need to buy them. 

• Like 1

I feel the awards are more a thank you to the tool companies than a selling point. I think the Dewalt Impact driver more than the Milwaukee but guess which one I'd buy...I don't have any Dewalt batteries.

Corded or hand tools are a little different but I do research because people have different preferences. I HATE Klein screwdrivers, plenty of people that disagree with me. Does it matter than I have a lot of different screwdrivers? Not really, it's just an opinion. Stats are hard to fight but even then, some times they're outweighed by usability.

One of my worst recent purchases was because I trusted mechanics' impressions of a DMM, I'm a professional electronics repair tech...I need more out of a meter than them, specs weren't a problem. I have the same issue listening to EEVB because they're mostly Engineers or hobbyists so they have different needs...you have to understand the perspective of the person using it.

The following is a bunch of useless ramblings that you probably shouldn't bother reading, I got wayy off topic.

When I as doing reviews for hockey equipment a lot of companies would keep asking me to review items. I feel the reason they liked my reviews is because I was thorough AND I could tell a good quality product from a poor quality product. Then I could differentiate the kind of player that would like the item and one where it wouldn't work as well. I could explain how a stick's blade was similar to such and such blade but the shaft was similar to another kind of stick but the flex properties matched up closer to such and such. There was one stick that a friend was trying out, I looked it over and took a couple shots. I told him there was a weak point in the stick, pointed to a spot and told him I bet you break it there...He did. They sent him another and he broke it there again. They ended up changing their stick line because of the breakage issues...but I'm getting off topic.

TL:DR; Take reviews with a grain of salt, your personal preference may differ from their views.

The reason I'm asking is that I have a friend that works in the PR department of a major tool company.  He was telling me that some of the reviewers charge a fee for your tools to be a part of the awards programs. He was saying that sales go up after the awards come out for the year.  I asked him about TIA he just chuckled and said those guys are missing the opportunity to make some really money. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, regopit said:

The reason I'm asking is that I have a friend that works in the PR department of a major tool company.  He was telling me that some of the reviewers charge a fee for your tools to be a part of the awards programs. He was saying that sales go up after the awards come out for the year.  I asked him about TIA he just chuckled and said those guys are missing the opportunity to make some really money. 

Probably a lot of people looking at them to buy as gifts. I'd like to know who charges to be in a tool award fee, that's sort of like how in little league everyone gets a trophy if their parents pay.

• Like 1

That's pretty interesting. Cool to know Dan and Eric keep it legit!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, regopit said:

It's lost on me, I never paid attention to them, I remember seeing the editors pick or whatever term they used in Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking growing up for tools but never did it give me a sudden urge to buy that particular one just because the magazine liked it best.....