Driver Bits......

comp56

3 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Things like this that make me want to smack an engineer.

Why do we need security bits when we already have half stripped phillips.

funny you mention that, years ago my father used to get a guy to drill the head just slightly if he wanted or was putting screws where people loosened them this was back many years ago however....

I've got the Titan kit, we sell them where I work, great kit. I have a few other kits like that too, I'm always in them. Just used some bits out of the Titan set today matter of fact. I've used plenty of security bits in my day, kits like these are a must-have.

I've had so many of these types of kits over the years that it's not even funny. Now that I work for an auto parts warehouse I can buy these kits at crazy prices. The Titan is a great kit for sure, and I use a Titan kit at work too. They have a driver handle/bit kit that's in my bag and I use it every day, it has the perfect sizes for working on stuff like walker chargers and whatnot. I grab the thing all the time.

Bit kits are a funny thing...you buy them thinking you'll never use certain bits, but having done industrial maintenance and security-related stuff over the years I think there hasn't been a bit yet that I haven't used. Heck, they use tamper-proof screws on everything these days it seems...

Just now, jeffmcmillan said:

How are the bits themselves?  I've had so many break.  Seems like removing support from the bit is part of the security.

I haven't broken a bit yet out of the Titan kit. However, they're standard insert bits, not anything special or different from the billions of other insert bits out there. I have a generic cheapo kit that I've had for years, haven't broken any of those either, but I have lost one or two here and there...

Funny thing, at work when we were still under construction I was installing plastic placards on the racks, and I broke around 20 Dewalt impact bits, did the same work with standard insert bits and didn't break a single one. Don't know why the impact bits kept breaking and the regular bits didn't, but it sure was strange.

I have the Tekton every bit set in the HF set case. The HF kit is good if you don't use it a lot but the hex bits aren't the right size, the security bits are the right size. Some of the security bits are off center on some of the sets. I basically bought the Tekton set so I know I won't ever have to worry about a bit breaing. I also have the Wera security pouch set with the Wiha SAE security hex set. I use hex, security hex, torx, security torx pretty often. I've used triple square, triwing, clutch, spanner head. Obviously not including slotted, phillips, JIS and robertson.