Toughsystem

albert.amantea

Ok,

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a Tough system setup.

I'm thinking of starting with a ds450, the extra large one with wheels attached, a ds400, a ds150, the storage organizer, and the tough system radio.

I plan on putting my tools from my 5 piece kit(drill, impact, recip, circ, flashlight) along with my 20v omt, and 20v jigsaw in the 450 (if they all fit).

In the 400 I'm planning on storing other tools (hammer, bags, squares, etc.)

In the 150 I wanna put all my batteries (2 4ah, 2 3ah, 2 1.5ah, and a 1.3ah) and a dcb101 charger. The top section of the 150 will house bits and accessories for the drills and drivers, the omt, jigsaw, pencils, pens, etc.

The organizer will hold misc screws, nails, etc.

My query is this: is there any thing that y'all see I'm missing out on here that you find useful or can't live without in a tough system setup?

I do plan on eventually getting a DS cart to make things more accessible, and repurposing the 450 for other tools.

What am I missing, if anything?

• Like 3

My recommendation would be use a ToughSystem organizer for batteries; slim and light. The DS450 also sounds pretty cluttered but should work. If you want to use the tray you may need to remove the circ blade each time. Honestly it sounds a bit hodge podge, I prefer more 300 and 150/130 myself for more modularity. 

My recommendation would be use a ToughSystem organizer for batteries; slim and light. The DS450 also sounds pretty cluttered but should work. If you want to use the tray you may need to remove the circ blade each time. Honestly it sounds a bit hodge podge, I prefer more 300 and 150/130 myself for more modularity. 

I wondered about that as well. I thought about the 300,but I didn't want it to be too tall either. Maybe time for a rethink

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

I have 5 300s. You won't fit a circ in it unless you take the tray out which means it's going to be a mishmash of stuff in there. The 300 with my 2731 also has a 2704 and 2753 in it, with bits, blades and a speed square. Not particularly happy with the set up at the moment but it's convenient to grab and go for most projects. 

• Like 1

I think 77Ford has a good idea there with regards to more smaller boxes rather than 2 "catch alls" which is what a 400 and 450 tend to become. 

Drill/impact and tons of accessories will fit in a 150. OMT as well if you'd like.  Batteries and charger in the 100. Jig circ and recip in the 400 while hand tools go in the 450. Honestly though, I think the carrier is too wide to be useful. I bomb my stuff around on a dolly. It was less than half the price, arguably more rugged and made in USA. Boxes latch together and one strap keeps them on the dolly. 

I was interested in the 450 but even on sale it's $120 CAD. I just picked up 3 300s for $35 CAD each. 

• Like 2

I ended up getting another large box ($34 is a steal) and the new DS130. I just got the child seat base into my 16 Tundra Crewmax and can no longer lift the larger seat up to store my ratcheting straps and hand tools so this box is for that. The large one? Well, $34 is a steal so I'll figure something out.

• Like 2

The Totes are nice also .......I am a huge fan of the Toughsystem. I bought 1 and then this happened 6db60e1ac3b65cd91473a13e4d3c9f06.jpg
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tough Tool Reviews on Instragram

Can say that about alto of your tools lol

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

• Like 2

It is getting to be shopping time at Home Depot, I saw where the black Friday stack of DS130s had a moderate price drop $31 (I think) to $25 per box. I might have to pick up some if they drop to below $20. leftovers from last Christmas is how I ended up with the small blower and bluetooth speaker for about $50 and $35 for each of them. i walked by a kit at HD somewhere that had the black Friday DS450 combo stack for something like $109, I think it was the last one. Something sticks in my mind it was like $129 or $139 before Christmas.

As for your organization ideas, If I were going to go with a DS450 to start, I would probably put the circular saw and reciprocating saws plus their accessories in it, you should be able to keep the tray in it for your accessories. I'd run the drill and impact and accessories in a DS130/150, The OMT would go in it's own DS130/150, you don't always need it on every job you do. The organizer is great for the small quantities of fasteners. I would also go with some form of bag with pockets inside and and out for all my hand tools like pliers, crimpers, screwdrivers, hammers, squares and the couple of different types of tape you can never seem to find if they aren't all together. Then I'd pick up one or two of the open top totes, or milk crates even, to put the loose expendable stuff like caulk. RTV sealant, the gun for those, sandpaper and sanding blocks, that stuff that doesn't have a home, but you need to have on a project.

• Like 1

It is getting to be shopping time at Home Depot, I saw where the black Friday stack of DS130s had a moderate price drop $31 (I think) to $25 per box. I might have to pick up some if they drop to below $20. leftovers from last Christmas is how I ended up with the small blower and bluetooth speaker for about $50 and $35 for each of them. i walked by a kit at HD somewhere that had the black Friday DS450 combo stack for something like $109, I think it was the last one. Something sticks in my mind it was like $129 or $139 before Christmas.

As for your organization ideas, If I were going to go with a DS450 to start, I would probably put the circular saw and reciprocating saws plus their accessories in it, you should be able to keep the tray in it for your accessories. I'd run the drill and impact and accessories in a DS130/150, The OMT would go in it's own DS130/150, you don't always need it on every job you do. The organizer is great for the small quantities of fasteners. I would also go with some form of bag with pockets inside and and out for all my hand tools like pliers, crimpers, screwdrivers, hammers, squares and the couple of different types of tape you can never seem to find if they aren't all together. Then I'd pick up one or two of the open top totes, or milk crates even, to put the loose expendable stuff like caulk. RTV sealant, the gun for those, sandpaper and sanding blocks, that stuff that doesn't have a home, but you need to have on a project.

Great thoughts! I do like the idea of keeping the different tools in separate cases. Much better than lumping them all together,and makes more sense to keep the accessories with them.

Honestly, my Intention for the 450 is to get into a wheeled cart without having to spend the money on a DS cart to start the things off.

• Like 1

That's not a bad plan @albert.amantea but 400/450s are deep. You need to make sure those are tools you need for every single job because emptying them out isn't fun and killing time that way defeats the purpose of the modular system. My current setup is:

100 - Milwaukee batteries, charger

300 - Fuel 7.25" circ, impact and hammer drill, bits and blades, speed square, etc

150 - Fuel Sawzall, hackzall, blades

150 Fuel impact wrenches and sockets

100 - Dewalt batteries, charger

150 - XR impact, compact drill, bits etc

150 - FlexVolt grinder, wheels/discs

300 - XR planer, multitool

400 - XR Framing/16 gauge nailers, hammer, etc. 

300 - hand tools

100 - consumables

i still need a few cases for an XR996, my Fuel braking grinder, my Fuel screwgun and rotozip, and to figure out where I want to integrate my M12 ratchet, etc. Also not sure what my ratio of 130s to 150s will be, though if I can't find 130s for $40 CAD I'll be sticking with 150s exclusively I feel. This leaves me with a 300 leftover which will end up in my truck toolbox I think because the truck box weatherstripping is trash. 

This also leaves me in a fairly good spot to expand later; when the Fuel midtorque wrench comes out I'll likely need two 150s for all my automotive stuff, when the Dewalt nailers come out I'll grab another 400 and the 18g and 16g will be a box and the framer and 15g will be another. Investing into the ToughSystem instead of a pile of random boxes (or worse; using OEM blow molded cases) has been one of my best decisions regarding tools. Moral of my story is you can't go wrong with any size and you'll find uses for them all and can customize and rearrange as you see fit down the road. 

• Like 4

That's not a bad plan @albert.amantea but 400/450s are deep. You need to make sure those are tools you need for every single job because emptying them out isn't fun and killing time that way defeats the purpose of the modular system. My current setup is:

100 - Milwaukee batteries, charger

300 - Fuel 7.25" circ, impact and hammer drill, bits and blades, speed square, etc

150 - Fuel Sawzall, hackzall, blades

150 Fuel impact wrenches and sockets

100 - Dewalt batteries, charger

150 - XR impact, compact drill, bits etc

150 - FlexVolt grinder, wheels/discs

300 - XR planer, multitool

400 - XR Framing/16 gauge nailers, hammer, etc. 

300 - hand tools

100 - consumables

i still need a few cases for an XR996, my Fuel braking grinder, my Fuel screwgun and rotozip, and to figure out where I want to integrate my M12 ratchet, etc. Also not sure what my ratio of 130s to 150s will be, though if I can't find 130s for $40 CAD I'll be sticking with 150s exclusively I feel. This leaves me with a 300 leftover which will end up in my truck toolbox I think because the truck box weatherstripping is trash. 

This also leaves me in a fairly good spot to expand later; when the Fuel midtorque wrench comes out I'll likely need two 150s for all my automotive stuff, when the Dewalt nailers come out I'll grab another 400 and the 18g and 16g will be a box and the framer and 15g will be another. Investing into the ToughSystem instead of a pile of random boxes (or worse; using OEM blow molded cases) has been one of my best decisions regarding tools. Moral of my story is you can't go wrong with any size and you'll find uses for them all and can customize and rearrange as you see fit down the road. 

Great insights. Quite the setup you have there! I really like the ideas, and appreciate knowing how you are organized.
I've got to do something, because I'm tired of all my tools in a million different cases rattling around in my Excursion.

I love the idea of having a different case for each job type, and putting in the accessories with the tool that uses them. That makes a lot of sense to me, and satisfies my OCD tendencies as well.
Like a lot of people, I find that if I don't ha e a designated home for something, it ends up on the closest horizontal surface available, and can be difficult to locate a second time! (that's why I have a zillion tapes, a quad zillion pencils, etc.)
I'm tired of doing that, and hate the wasted time. Good organization is expensive, but only once. Without it, I will pay for it the rest of my life... [emoji16]