36V Miter saw Review

slopjock78

So my first experience with any Makita tool is the new 36V miter saw.  Took advantage of the home depot special to get four batteries...especially helpful since I didnt have any other Makita batteries...  I am very heavily invested in the Dewalt 20/60V platform, and have been exceptionally satisfied with all of these tools.  However, I really wanted a 10" miter saw as well as rails forward.  When Makita came out with this saw I eagerly awaited reviews, and was pleasantly satisfied when it got high praise from several reviewerss that i have come to trust

I got the saw delivered on Friday and put it to immediate use.  I am currently trimming an 1890's farm house remodel (Well, I did ALL of the work on the house, but I'm at the trimming stages now).  I threw a brand new Freud Industrial LU74 into the saw and checked for square with my woodpeckers square.  The saw appeared to be dead square to the fence.  Took a few test cuts and was very satisfied with the cut quality.  I am only cutting stain grade pine right now, and cuts this with ease.  Soon I will be putting down hickory hardwood, so that will test the power a little more then pine.  Ive only cased out three windows with it so far....but up to this point I am extremely happy with my purchase.  I will list out a few of the pros and cons:

Pros:

-Exceptional cut quality and accuracy right out of the box

-Best dust extraction I have personally experienced on a miter saw (when paired with my Festool CT26)

-Rails forward, so fits nicely up against a wall

-Bevel adjustment at the front of the saw is nice

Cons:

-When beveling as little as 2 deg, you must fully remove the top halves of the fence instead of them just sliding out like other saws

-At least on my saw, moving the angle from side to side is a little stiff.  It was a little tough to make accurate fractional changes to the miter.  Moving from 45 deg to say 45 1/4 deg was a little tricky as the saw would jump due to the stiffness...maybe just a break in period

All in all a fantastic tool up to this early point.....I'm already thinking of expanding my makita tool lineup by adding the 18V Trim router