Fix or Replace?

Jronman

I was wondering about your guy's opinions on when a guy should fix a tool and when it would be more cost effective just to replace the tool.

Last week my OMT went bad and I'm not sure if it would be worth fixing or if I should just replace (can't seem to find a proof of purchase anywhere so no warranty for me)

2 hours ago, doublearon98 said:

I'd also try warranty regardless of whether you have proof of purchase or not. All they can do is say no.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Since it is over 1 year old the free service agreement is up. I still have the limited warranty but I'm thinking my issue is a wear and tear issue which is not covered. I contacted DeWALT about the broken tool and they said I need proof of purchase. My options are drive 30 or so miles from where I live in Nebraska to the nearest authorized DeWALT service center or send it to Kansas where the big DeWALT service center is located. I did some further research on parts lists/diagrams and if my hypothesis is correct the motor is delivering power to the gear housing but the gear housing is no longer transferring that power to the blade. If the whole gear housing needs replaced that is $60 usd just to buy a new gear housing not including labor to instal. If a portion of my current housing can be fixed the part cost might be cheaper but with labor it might be a wash. A brand new DCS355 bare is around $140 new. I was thinking at the price I would have to pay to fix my broken one I might as well pay a bit more to get a brand new DCS355 or maybe I might upgrade to starlock.

Not that I’ve had to fix all that many but if a tool’s operation is all gummed up from long enough use and/or newer models have substantial performance improvements or features I tend to favor just getting a new tool. The pricier and higher-grade it is the more likely I’m going to sit down and pull everything apart and take the potentially hours of time cleaning everything out. If I’m going to fix something I tend to want it working at least as well as new otherwise I feel gimped. I think this is carry-over from how I repair things across all my hobbies in general. Quick fixes like brushes or an messed up drill chuck are obviously easy.

You don't sound too comfortable ripping into the tool but unless the gear housing is cracked the most likely problem is a stripped gear, which should not be that expensive. It may well involve pressing a bearing or two. If it were mine, sheer curiosity would have the gear case apart but that may not work for you. I replaced a stripped gear set on a Makita rt. angle drill, some time ago. Still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I’ve had success without proof of purchase at my Dewalt service center.

If it’s only 30 miles away, wander in there and look pitiful. It worked for me.

They took my FV recip saw and sent me a new one in the mail a couple weeks later.

They fixed my 20v framing nailer for the cost of parts and mailed it to me a month later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

Just order a 18v Fein and be done with it :)

I want to try the cordless vecturo which is basically a supercut. Hopefully the performance is on par with the supercut. I already have the Festool batteries so it makes a bit more sense.

4 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

The Starlock is the way to go.  I wonder what the Cordless Vecturo will be selling for.

I would expect similar prices to the Supercut. Maybe some attachments like the dust adapter will be included in the more expensive kit. I like that the cordless Vecturp uses Starlock Max.