Miter Saw Replacement Motor

BGW56

I have a DW718 Type 2 Sliding Compound Miter Saw. The motor is completely burned out. (Literally. It caught on fire). I obviously need more than parts; I need a whole new motor. DeWalt can't or won't recommend a motor from their inventory as a replacement, but it seems to me that I ought to be able to find a motor that works. 

After searching the web, I have come up with the following possible scenarios. 

1. DeWalt motor N238354. Some said this motor works with the DW718, some said no. 

2. Some have said that the motor used in the DW 780 will work with the  DW718.

Can anyone provide more info on these possible options? Or provide another one? I'd like to be sure before I plop down the bucks for a new motor.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have a DW718, type 2, that I think the armature has problems (large sparking)....

I took the Type 20 motor off a DW716 and installed it on the DW718, works great.

I think ALL the Dewalt Miter Saw Motors will interchange, just so they have a pulley and the same mounting plate on the end of them.

When you take the motor off, it works best if you take the motor wires off all the way back the switch, that way, you dont have to cut any of the 4 wires (Black/white/red/yellow), you just reterminate them

I just bought a complete Type 21 motor off ebay for $125. There also a Type 22 motor on there for $159.

I know positively the Type 20 (DW716) motor will work.

The DW718 motor stuff according to DEWALT is OBSELETE.