Makita xdt16 loose trigger?

Jonman

Hi, I am wondering if my makita xdt16 has a problem or if this is how everyone’s is. The problem is that the trigger seems to have a lot of play in it in comparison to my Bosch and milwaukee impacts. For example when I am maybe screwing something down at a weird angle the trigger seems to go sideways instead of straight and as a result the trigger feels kind of weird and not smooth. Just wondering if anybody that owns one can chime in and tell me if this is normal or if I need to return it. 

thanks, 

9 hours ago, TerryOS said:

I think this is not normal

On 2/6/2021 at 8:35 AM, aessu said:

I havent experienced such a thing with my DTD171 (which is the same thing here in Europe), or any of my previous makita tools.

Okay, rereading my original post, I think I accidentally over exaggerated it. What I mean is that the trigger has a fair amount of slop in the housing. So when I go to screw something down, and am at a weird angle, the trigger will wiggle to one side and wear on housing causing a not so smooth movement. The impact is still one hundred percent useable and it’s really not that noticeable for 98% of screwing, but it just seems when at an angle it doesn’t feel right. Like I say it’s only a little more play than my Milwaukee 2853-20 and a lot more than my Bosch freak, so maybe I am just being picky. But nonetheless let me know if how I re-described it sounds any different  or if I should just return it. Maybe I will upload a video. 

Your more specific description inclined me to check my XDT12 (model just previous to yours, almost certainly uses the same switch) to see if I notice anything similar. There IS a small degree of plastic-on-plastic rubbing when trying to slide with sideways pressure.

Checked against my other Makita impacts and drills and it seems there’s varying degrees of it. It could easily have something to do with accumulated particulates or gunk in the mechanism, because it seems more pronounced on the tools I’ve subjected to the most “abuse”.

I’m not personally bothered by it though, just as you say it only become apparent when you expressly try to pressure it from sideways which is entirely avoidable. Makita’s switches are pretty decently specced in the grand scheme.