I Bought An 8" Grinder! Delta (23-197)

Rod Ango

Been hoping to get a slow-speed  grinder for a long time, for chisel snd plane blade re-grinding and

general tasks. Never saw one come up on CL or FBM that I could buy before it was gone or

that looked decent for less money than NEW!

While I've tried to swear off both Delta, grrr, and mainland Ccc, here'tis, and pretty decent.

Specs & observations

- 5A, 120V (maybe convertible to 240V?)

- wheel measures 7 25/32", arbor is right about 0.625"

- there is an On/Off switch with pullout lock-key

- potentiometer knob for 2000 to 3400RPM

- there is a water dunking-trough right under the switch and knob

- toolrests and polycarbonate-eyeguards are a little basic, but adjustable snd well thought out

- the supplied wheels are 36 + 60 grit, slightly over 1", and a little vibraty, but usable

- finally, there are flat rubber feet on the bottom which help absorb vibration.*

Plan to get some pink or white finer wheels and a buffing head, & probly a wirebrush.

There are some good toolrest mods on YT, but mainly for machinists who can pull out their

metal lathe, milling machine, cold rolled and al-angle scrap. Imma see what I can do, but

the supplied toolreasts are usable once you figure out how to assemble them: I had to

scout some pics on the internet, the directions are for s****!

Maybe coulda found it for $20 less, but bezos had it in my hot little hands in 36hrs via prime,

less than U$155. I think it's a rebrand of the white ShopFox, bothhave them made to order,

and apparently identical except for color and labels. If I'd had too much money, woulda been

happier with a Baldor version, but at 4-6x times the price? I'll get some mo-betta wheels

in finer grit soon, and consider a CBN or possibly a lapidary disk and backing plate, hmmmm!

Best of luck, pist below is you have one, are deciding to get one, or think the tool

or my brief review are SHITE! [Deutsche: shiesse!]

F29AF8B1-2466-465A-8CB8-10F48269BC30.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg