how to add grease on ego attachments

ultra

i have the power head (PH1400) and use the following attachments: hedge trimmer (HTA2000), string trimmer (STA1500) and edger (EA0800). All three require that I check the grease level via a "sealing screw" and fill it to 3/4 full. well i can hardly see inside the hole and even what little i do see, how do i know if it's 3/4 as opposed to 1/2? all 3 tools have the exact same setup.

i tried using a small zip tie to see if i could measure like a dipstick but that was not clear either - as it seems to me that any grease that i put in or that is in will not necessarily settle like a liquid and grease on the sides of the gear box may not show that there is an empty space below....

i spoke to ego support and it was like talking to a person on another planet...they kept putting me on hold and coming back with the same: just look inside and oh btw we have have never had this question before.

i did put a little grease in each one but would like a more certain approach. if any of you have done this with these tools i would appreciate your help. if you have not done this with these tools your suggestions are also welcome but please let me know it's a suggestion as opposed to something you have actually done.

TIA!

IMG_3705.jpeg

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Wild guess but fairly confident this is the answer.  Make sure trimmer head is down, that's the position you'd normally have it while in use, so the seal screw is facing to the right.  the height of the seal screw is your 3/4 mark.  You fill the gearbox up to that point with a syringe while turning the head to spread the grease.  Hope this helps!

Sam