Milwaukee 2401-20 Compact Driver issue

K-2

Recently I noticed one of my Milwaukee Compact Drivers (mod 2401-20, s/n 3BO3) no longer brakes to a stop when I release the trigger.  So basically instead of braking to an immediate stop, it now continues to spin a few revolutions before it stops. I took the driver apart to inspect the gear case. Underneath the cylinder containing the gearing assemblies, I discovered 6 very small round steel bits in disarray. Each resembles a flint you'd replace in an old zippo lighter.  I was unable to find any website or video showing a tear down or reassembly of the gear case components, so I'm stumped. 

A test reassembly omitting these small pieces produced the same result, no braking. So I'm assuming they may have become dislodged, perhaps after being dropped? There doesn't appear to be any documentation showing how to reinstall these pieces in the gear case. I'm hoping someone here has experienced the same issue and successfully repaired the driver. 

photo of the 6 micro cylinders, penny for reference to size.

Thanks in advance for any insight or instructions.

20211025_230123.jpg