Cordless Angle Grinder Advice

T75R

There could be a lot of discussion on this subject and it really comes down to what you're using the grinder for.  Even a cheap corded grinder is probably more powerful than most cordless models but not nearly as convenient.  All cordless models are power hungry so brushless is the way to go and it doesn't hurt to have a good supply of larger a/h batteries as they perform better on bigger batteries.  If you've never used a cordless before and you do a lot of heavy grinding you may be disappointed with a cordless or find that it's the wrong tool for you.  I have a ag construction company that does concrete, metal fab/millwright and iron work.  There was a time ten years ago I would have said a cordless grinder was useless and now I don't carry a corded grinder on my truck and I couldn't tell you the last time I used a corded.  I have experience with bosch, dewalt, and milwaukee cordless and to this day I would still say the dewalt flexvolt 60v grinder is the closest thing to corded.  When it comes to 18-20v grinders the bosch, dewalt, and milwaukee all perform about the same, it's really just what battery line you're in.

All that being said and assuming you want to stick with dewalt you have to make the decision about 20v or 60v.  The 60v is a more powerful grinder but if you don't have any flexvolt batteries you're going to have to invest a little bit into batteries.

There are really two models in the 60v.

-Dcg414 is the original 60v.  I have this model and think it's very comparable in power to corded.

-dcg418 is the newest 60v it got a small bump in power from the 414 and if you go 60v it's the model you should look for.

If you're looking at 20v there's pretty much 4 models.

-dcg412 is a old brushed model and isn't terrible for diy or if you have a lot of batteries.  6.0ah and higher batteries really perk up the power on them too.

-dcg413 was dewalts first 20v brushless and is a very solid performer.  Also the dcg405 is the same model but with a slide switch instead of a paddle.

-dcg415 "power detect"  Lowes was given this model as an updated brushless that gives better performance with 21700 cell batteries.

Dcg416 "flexvolt advantage"  Home Depot got this as as an updated brushless model and it's said to perform better on the flexvolt batteries.

I don't have any experience with the "power detect" or "flexvolt advantage" models but I really think it's more marketing hype than anything.  They might have a little more power but if you put the newest biggest batteries on the dcg413 you're going to see power gains too.  If you went the 20v route the dcg415 or dcg416 are the models I would look at as they are the newest just choose which ever batteries you have or if you're a lowes or homedepot person.

• Thanks 1

Well explained, Biggie!

DeWALT 60V Flexvolt grinders (4.5" - 6" & 7") are good as cordless with 12.0Ah or 15.0Ah Flexvolt batteries, DeWALT recently announced a 7" Flexvolt Angle Grinder quite small for the blade size I would say. If you can afford these tools and batteries then go for cordless, if not definitely go for corded!

• Thanks 1