A LOOK INSIDE DEWALT'S DCD950KX DCD970KL NEW HAMMERDRILL/DRIVER

kanxrus

Just wanted to show a few close ups of the interal parts on the DCD970KL DCD950KX!

DC950weight.jpg

DC950weight2.jpg

DCD950guts.jpg

Once you get it all apart you notice right away that all the weight is in the transmission. Another thing you'll notice is that the gear case for the transmission is body it self

DCD950gears.jpg

Nothing but solid parts. Pretty impressive!

DCD950motor.jpg

The motor has a dual bearing design that bolts to the clamshell, even the switch has been changed to copper!

What's the difference between the new DCD950KX and the new DCD970KL?

From a visual standpoint, I can see that the clutch rings have some physical differences in addition to the difference in color.  They both appear to share the newer style Nano base.  All the other published specs I've seen so far are identical except for weight, which shows the DCD970KL being exactly one pound lighter at 5.25lbs vs 6.25 lbs for the DCD950KX.

I'm guessing the weight difference is because the 970 comes with the lithium batteries and the 950 comes with the standard XRP NiCad batteries (yes / no ?).  If there's more to this than what I'm guessing at, please clarify.

Are there any other differences internally or are they both built with the exact same internals and are exactly the same except for the clutch rings?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My local Home Depots now have the DCD950KX in stock by itself and on display.  They also have the DCD950 as part of a 6 piece kit, DeWALT PN# DCK655X.  For anybody looking for this kit, its easy to spot because the top half of the box is black with "DeWALT" in reverse (Yellow) as opposed to the entire box being yellow like the older kits.  And my local Home Depot currently has this kit priced less than retail  :)

Archived