DEWALT DC827 IMPACT DRIVER vs MAKITA BTD142 IMPACT DRIVER

kanxrus

How about some testing of durability and longevity.  I have been purchasing DeWalt hammer drills for an industrial maintenance department, and am very disappointed in the clutch/torque adjustment durability, compared to other brands.  :-\

That's a tough one to do on a forum.... All you can really go by are people's honest opinions and experience. I can tell you that the DCD950's clutch, and hammer components are far more durable and better built than the DC988, DC927, and the DC925.

Hehe well that sucks. Got a 927 coming with my 827(Course i do window installation, really only need it for its hammer "powers". Impact driver though, gets used a poop ton. going from a Ryobi(regular bat)(850 lbs?) to the 827 (1330?)  hey, one day for poops and giggles can you VS those two? hehe

I think the Dewalt should easily beat the Makita since the Mak battery is a small 1.5ah. The full size 3.0ah batteries should be a closer match. In that case the Makita might beat the Dewalt. I also have both of these units, only My Makita is the BTD140 which is otherwise the same tool but with the blue clamshell. I got virtually identical results in the speed tests. The Dewalt is definately faster by a little. Nevertheless I find myself using the Makita more simply because I can use small batteries, it's a fair bit lighter and the LED staying on without holding the trigger is a lot more convinient when aligning bits in dark areas. I really wish dewalt would make a compact lithium battery and have the led stay on.

The larger 3.0 makita battery only increases weight and runtime. A larger Ah battery does not increase power. 18v is 18v. Unless you meant trying the BTD141 (140) instead of the BTD142. The Dewalt DC827 has 1330 in lbs of torque, and the BTD141 has 1330 in lbs of torque as well. The BTD142 has 1280 in lbs of torque. But remember that the Ridgid R86030 had 1400 in lbs of torque, and the Dewalt DC827 still outperformed it. That being said, the Dewalt DC827 vs the Makita BTD142 was pretty close, which leaves me to believe that the BTD141 vs the DC827 would be nearly neck to neck. I've got a BTD142 coming in the mail, and I will be posting up some results in the near future.

As far as weight goes, the difference between the Dewalt DC827 and the Makita BTD142 is 2oz. That is using the Dewalt DC9180 XRP lithium Ion battery, and the Makita 3.0 battery. The 1.5 Makita battery does not fit on any other Makita tool, unless it's white.

I was only refering to the runtime, not power. That said the blue version on the Makita impact is identical. The only difference is the blue clamshells come for the their "high end" line which only take the 3.0ah batteries. Thats easy enough to fix though. The only thing keeping the 1.5ah batteries from fitting the blue tools is a small square nub on the tool base which is easily removed. I took it off my impact driver and use the compact batteries on it regularly. With the compact battery the tool is nearly a pound lighter and slightly smaller. 

However using the 3.0ah batteries in other tools like the drill could make a difference since it runs two parallel wired sets of 1.5 ah cells. Under heavy loads the compact battery will cook as you had happen. THe 3.0ah should allow it to  run harder since it will pull half the current from each cell bank.

No the BTD140 will not fit the 1.5 ah battery. At least not the very early ones which is what I have. They came out long before the 1.5ah batteries were available so that might have something to do with it but it's easy enough to fix. Just clip off a small tab in the base that blocks the battery from sliding in. When the BDT141 came out I think makita rebranded the 140 as the 142 and changed it to the white shell because last I checked the parts breakdown on the Makita site for the two is identical except for the color.

Hi , Just looking at your discussion about the impact drivers and noticed that you said the 1.5 ah Makita battery would'nt fit on any Makita tool unless its white? are you sure I think that all Makita slide Lithium fit all lithium tools as long as it's the same platform i.e 18v

Hi , Just looking at your discussion about the impact drivers and noticed that you said the 1.5 ah Makita battery would'nt fit on any Makita tool unless its white? are you sure I think that all Makita slide Lithium fit all lithium tools as long as it's the same platform i.e 18v

Here's a quote from Velosapien,

The compact 1.5 ah batteries will NOT fit on the blue tools. There is a small notch on the tool preventing them from sliding in. That can easily be cut off and they should work but I'm not willing to try on my new tools. I'm not sure why Makita wouldn't want you to use the compact batteries on the blue tools. The only drawback should be shorter run time but they can come in handy for some very tight spots or in an emergency if you find yourself with no charged 3.0 ah batteries. I would love to use these batteries on the impact driver to make it even smaller. Besides, they charge in under 15 minutes with the new rapid charger so its not bad.

The DC825 has the NiCd footprint, while the DC827 has the Lithium footprint. They are identical other than that. All but 4 18v Dewalt tools will accept the lithium batteries. All 18v Dewalt tools are frontward, and backward compatible. Update your charger and your good to go.

Heres a DC825 with a Lithium bottom!? I bought a new DCD950 (drill only) from this guy before, iam looking for an impact driver and i might just buy this one, what do you think of the price?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320389981070&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.ie%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D320389981070%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I would make the assumption that the DC825 will be phased out into the DC827. Then again, as long as Dewalt continues to make NiCd batteries they may choose to keep the model # DC825 alive?

As far as ebay is concerned.. I think suggested retail is $130 for the bare tool. I think anything $90 or under is a good deal on ebay.

Archived