impact drivers

Bingobelle

Hi

I have to ask what the point with a impact driver is. I was looking at the video where you compared the makita and dewalt impact drivers. Must say that my DCD 920 xrp 18 volt ( known as DCD960 in the states ) will do the same work ten times faster then those impact drivers. They also do a terrible noise wenn they are used. Sure they are much smaller, but is that the only benefit they offer compared to the bigger drills?

However my big xrp drill may not be a super tool for small screws wenn putting up light switches and other smaller electric components. So I was thinking about to purchase some smaller tool for lighter kind of work and use my xrp drill for "heavy duty" work like drilling holes and screw really big screws.

But is the impact drivers the way to go or shall I look at some other kind of battery drill. Must be a dewalt since I would like to be able to use my 18 volt lithium battery I already have. Reasson I ask is that I´ve never had the oportunety to test a impact driver. Nearest dewalt salesman is to far away.

I´m also thinking about the driver that can be positioned in three different ways ( looking like a tube in straight position ) but in sweden they are only offered with Nicd battery and I´m not sure I want to go with that old kind of battery technology.

I choose my Impact for driving fasteners because;

1- The impact is shorter and lighter than a conventional drill driver, it's easier to use and causes less fatigue.

2- The impact driver uses rotational torque which means I can drive larger fasteners/lags without twisting my arm off. I can drive 1/4 lags all day with one hand.

3- I also see less cam out when I drive phillips screws.

4- I also notice less screw break offs when I'm putting screws down in treated lumber.

I rarely use my drill driver any more. I could not imagine not having an impact driver.

Hi JC

Thanks for your reply.

If I have figured it out right you are working as a carpenter and do a lot of screwing wenn for example building a big deck. Under these circumstances I understand that the impact driver is a very good tool to use.

However I work as a electrician and the main purpose with the purchase of the DCD960 is drilling a lot of holes for the "plastic pipes" you put the cables inside. I also make a lot of holes with holesaws for outlets and light switches and for that kind of work I think the DCD 960 or DCD 970 is the number one drill in the world up to this date.

But after drilling all these hundreds of holes I+ve to install all the outlets, lightswitches and light armatures, fuseboxes  and so on. For that kind of work I just need a very little driver since no power is needed. With a impact drill I think you can "crack" the plastic cover of a outlet if you are not very carefull.

Of course I also install some otlets, lightswitches and so on on already build walls in older houses but we are talking about small philips screws going into gipsy and sometimes plyfa and chipboard. For that I also do not need a lot of power.

So I´m thinking about to buy the very small makita driver on 10,8 volt and only 0,88 kilo. ( about 2 pounds ) Do not know the model number of that in the states. I have not been able to find a dewalt driver in that kind of size. The DCD 760 is not a option since the differences to the DCD 960 is to small.  If dewalt have any kind of driver like this makita I will consider it of course since I´m a little bit of a Dewalt "geek". ( The DCD 960 is the most competent drill I´ve ever tried and with the performance in mind it is not that big either. Must say I find it very handy )

Archived