Batteries ... confused

sowens

I think if they haven't already, DeWalt is on the verge of confusing new DeWalt consumers (me) to other brands.

Let me see if I have this straight.

Dewalt has regular 18V Nicad, XRP Nicad, XRP Lit Ion and Compact XRP Lit Ion batteries. Have I missed any ?

I just purchased a Dewalt drill packaged with two regular Nicad batteries.

Now, I am interested in purchasing the cordless jigsaw DC330B (tool only as I have the batteries, see above). BUT I also noticed that they have the DC330B XRP model, tool only (no battery).

This is where I am confused. I thought the XRP was referring to the type of battery used in the tool, not the tool itself. Will buying the XRP DC330B be of any benefit to me (extra $40) while using the regular good ol Nicad batteries ? Or will I have to purchase the XRP batteries to realize the full potential of the tool ?

Someone please end my madness.

Thanks, Shawn

I think if they haven't already, DeWalt is on the verge of confusing new DeWalt consumers (me) to other brands.

Let me see if I have this straight.

Dewalt has regular 18V Nicad, XRP Nicad, XRP Lit Ion and Compact XRP Lit Ion batteries. Have I missed any ?

I just purchased a Dewalt drill packaged with two regular Nicad batteries.

Now, I am interested in purchasing the cordless jigsaw DC330B (tool only as I have the batteries, see above). BUT I also noticed that they have the DC330B XRP model, tool only (no battery).

This is where I am confused. I thought the XRP was referring to the type of battery used in the tool, not the tool itself. Will buying the XRP DC330B be of any benefit to me (extra $40) while using the regular good ol Nicad batteries ? Or will I have to purchase the XRP batteries to realize the full potential of the tool ?

Someone please end my madness.

Thanks, Shawn

Shawn,

Refer to the DeWalt slogan; 40+ tools on one battery.  Yes DeWalt have many different battery versions for 18v.

NiCd reg (DC????)

NiCd compact (DC9099)

NiCd XRP (DC9096)

NiMh (DE????)

Lithium compact (DC9181)

Lithium XRP (DC9180)

All of these different batteries can be used on your tool, the only difference you will see is the battery run-time.  The DC330B XRP you are interested in bying is just an upgrade or newer model of the DC330B, so it does not matter which one you plan on buying, the batteries that you already have will work with it.

Archived