Pretty on the outside, Crap on the inside

anadevi

Ridgid R8804 Caulking Gun

Intermittent issue with this tool, suspected the trigger but this is what I found inside. Dates back to 2005. Double sided board, and a lot more SMD electronics on the underside of the right hand board than I was expecting to see.

1839_29_01_12_11_32_17.jpeg

Right hand side

1839_29_01_12_11_33_03.jpeg

Left hand side. The pins on the connector are examples of terrible soldering. Pin 6 of this connector has lifted. Pin 5 also looks like a dry joint. I will need to do all of these.

1839_29_01_12_11_30_14.jpeg

PCB damage under connector on right hand side. Clean and probably redo these as well.

1839_29_01_12_11_31_21.jpeg

Joints under connections on left hand side. These need to be redone. #4's lifted and #2's just hanging on.

The PCB's are riddled with this, appears that the board was not cleaned to remove the flux after PCB assembly. The hand soldered work appears poor in my view resulting in the dry joints.

Sorry, I did not take pics of the tool first, it's not quite what I expected to find. I will work on this in the next week or so and try and remember to take a couple of pics.

*** Added some comments to make this post more clear. ***

thanks for sharing... a little constructive challenge :) how do you figure that the intermittent issues are due to the "terrible" soldering today in 2012?

to me it sounds like an electronic component is on it's last days.

though, yes, terrible soldering does lower the life expectancy of the components/tool. but that will only imply that a component is on it's last days too :)... if i am explaining myself right...

The hand soldering is just very poor workmanship. It's lead free and it may have been that whoever did this was not experience with it or the iron was not hot enough.

In regard to the problem, I though I had a bad trigger but that tested ok. The black wire is BAT(-). I had it running off a bench supply, out if it's housing real easy find. Some of the other joints are questionable but not obviously causing a problem.

Your right about 2012, most everything is either throw away or board level replaced. I grew up in a time where you either found the problem or lived without it. I'm not an expert but it's pretty amazing how much can be fixed without replacing parts.

Kind of like your example with bad caps, look for the obvious - 90% of the time it is.

thanks for sharing... a little constructive challenge :) how do you figure that the intermittent issues are due to the "terrible" soldering today in 2012?

to me it sounds like an electronic component is on it's last days.

though, yes, terrible soldering does lower the life expectancy of the components/tool. but that will only imply that a component is on it's last days too :)... if i am explaining myself right...

Archived