looking to buy air compressor

Guest steve

Guest steve

I am looking to buy an air compressor. I do not need or want a huge 60 gallon or 80 gallon compressor. I just need and want a portable one for garage/house to fill tires, blow off things - work area, truck engine, etc, and to occasionally run smaller air tools including an impact wrench on occasion to rotate tires. I am looking at an oil lubed Craftsman 10 gallon with 135 psi and cfm ratings of 3.7 at 40 psi and 2.4 at 90. Price on this one is around $175. Another option would be a 20 gallon OIL LESS craftsman with 5.1 cfm at 40 psi and 3.8 cfm at 90 psi. This one is $279. I am leaning towards the 10 gallon oil lubed, I know it is smaller and the cfm ratings aren't the greatest but I have heard oil lubed last longer and I don't need anything huge. I know I won't be able to continuously run impact wrench and I may have to wait for compressor to fill up between tires, but that is no big deal for me. I won't be using an impact wrench everyday, just on occasion. The 10 gallon also got better reviews than the 20 gallon and in a couple of the reviews people have said that they use a 600 lb impact with the 10 gallon compressor and used it to rotate tires, etc. Despite what some will say, I would really like to stay with the Craftsman brand, just would like some feed back and what is a good impact wrench to go with if I go with the 10 gal compressor? Thanks.

If it is in your budget I would get the 33 gallon one. If not the 20 gallon one would work. The oil less ones are super loud as well so keep that in mind. Ingersoll rand makes good air tools. I will post the link to the craftsman one I have. It is quiet and has more than enough power and I haven't had a single issue with it. http://m.craftsman.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=00919984000P&fromPage=keywordResult

Guest steve

Thanks for the input. The thing is I am probably going to have to order whatever compressor I decide online. The only one I can get a store around here is the 20 gallon for $279. I found the 33 gal online but with shipping it is going to cost almost 400 dollars. The 20 gallon is online for $199 but with shipping it adds an extra $70. The 10 gallon is online for $180 plus free shipping. Also, the 10 gallon is the only oil lubed compressor of the three. Do you think the 10 gallon will not work with the impact wrench?

Guest steve

I have checked local craiglist - no good deals around here. I have narrowed it down to three choices...all craftsman

1. Either get the oil lubed 10 gallon online with free shipping - $180 plus tax.

2. 20 gallon oil less at local hardware store for $279 plus tax.

3. 26 gallon oil less at local sears store (liquidation sale) for $263. (This compressor actually includes 3/8 impact wrench and hose - it is the last compressor they have left)

I just found out about option 3. Both 2 and 3 have cfm ratings of 3.8 at 90 psi and 5.1 at 40 psi. Which option would you go with?

You might want to consider the Harbor Freight for 177 plus the 20% off coupon they always have. I don't know if you have a store near by. it does 4.1 cfm at 90psi. At the price point your looking at all the compressors are going to be loud.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/25-horsepower-21-gal-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html#.Uy8-01fIuSc

Guest steve

Otherwise I did just find this 8 gallon horizontal KOBALT compressor at lowes for $139. It is oil less and has much better cfm ratings than the oil lubed craftsman. It is 150 psi and has 5 cfm at 40 and 4 cfm at 90 psi. Or there is a 20 gallon oil less kobalt with the same cfm ratings for $199. I would probably get the 8 gallon if I had to choose. Any thoughts on this one?

The bigger the compressor, the happier you'll be. Standard CFM allowance for a 1/2" impact is 5@90. Some require slightly more like 5.2, and some a little less like in the 4.8 range.

If you want to run air tools at all I wouldn't get anything less than 5@90. You'll also notice a big difference using a blow gun. With a 4 or 5 gallon it runs it's guys out and starts blowing a lot of water after the first tank full is depleted.

For what you want I'd look in the 25-30 gallon range.

Oiled compressors rum much quieter than oil less models also.