Festool SySlite

regopit

The other day DR99 made a post about the Festool SySlite give away and I posted that I would do a write-up about my opinion about it.

Let me first say I did not buy the SySlite but it was given to me at a Festool event for participating in a focus good. The SySlite is compact and puts out a lot of light for its size. The shape of the light makes it comfortable to hold and it had a rubber over mold. It comes with an insert so you can place it on a tripod. The one feature that makes this light stand out from the rest is that it has a built in power supply and can be piggy backed with one of their battery packs or just plug in the charger and it will run the light continually.

I just completed a craw-space job that involved some termite damage and to insulate the space. The space was 6ft wide the length 18ft and the height was 4ft, I brought the SySlite along to see how it would perform. Right from the get go I know that it was not going to put out enough light to light the entire space but was enough light when working in a close spot. It ran for 1 hour and 45 min. before it died. Now the second problem I see with this light if you do not have any of their battery packs it takes 3 Hours to gain a full charge. Returning the next day to complete the job I ran the light on low and it lasted about 4 hours and 15 min with no problems. The only up side to this light is that you can plug it into the charger and run it continually.

Okay let get down to some facts about this Lite

Includes AC Adapter and an Auto Charger

Dimensions3-1/4 x 4 x 5-7/8" (80 x 100 x 150 mm) External Battery Life, 1.5Ah3 hours

External Battery Life, 2.6Ah4 hours

External Battery Life, 3.0Ah4-1/2 hours

Internal Battery Charge Time180 mins

Internal Battery Life90 mins high, 240 mins low

Light Source Six 3-watt LEDs

Tripod Mount1/4-inch

Weight0.32 lbs. (0.7 kg)

DSC01224_zps396bc593.jpg

I mean, what more can you say. It is a work/flash lite if you are a drywall guy or a painter and you want to find any imperfection in you work this would work great. For me I could not use this as my only lite source when working unless I am in a closet or in a cabinet.  I do not think that Festool plans on anybody to replace his or her lights with one of these but they do sell them in groups of six. Now let us talk price. I got the one I have free. With that being said this lite cost $175.00 and to me that is overpriced for what you get. If you have Milwaukee or DeWalt Battery packs you are most likely going to buy one of their lights for $100.00.

I snapped a few pictures with my phone only after I put the stuff back into the craw space. I set the SySlite light against the back wall and shot in down the length of the craw space, you can see it puts out some light but not enough to work by for me.

DSC01218_zpse5024fd7.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome Carroll! Thanks for the honest review. I was really thinking about this one but...I have sold all of my M18 tools EXCEPT my work light and a 3 ah battery plus the multi size charger as I have a bunch of M12 tools. I really like my M18 halogen work light but because apparently I am a snob I was thinking about getting the Syslight. Now NO way. I think I'm going to get the M18 work light that the guys did a review on. LED and I have a battery for it already. Too bad but I was really himming and hawing over this light but you just saved me some hard earned cash on can keep in my tool account!

• Like 1

Awesome Carroll! Thanks for the honest review. I was really thinking about this one but...I have sold all of my M18 tools EXCEPT my work light and a 3 ah battery plus the multi size charger as I have a bunch of M12 tools. I really like my M18 halogen work light but because apparently I am a snob I was thinking about getting the Syslight. Now NO way. I think I'm going to get the M18 work light that the guys did a review on. LED and I have a battery for it already. Too bad but I was really himming and hawing over this light but you just saved me some hard earned cash on can keep in my tool account!

I wished that I had taken a before picture when it was just block. The silver backed insulation helps reflect the light. It is a good light but it is for small spaces.

I'm really grateful you took pics! Plus your detail helps. I'm going to be remodeling my large bedroom upstairs and it have a cape so....pretty dark up there without lights. I want something that's going to light up a large area. I thought this I'd do it but I'm glad I didn't make a 175 dollar boo boo! That's several detail hours I can apply to the Domino!

Really great review regopit! Loved how you were really honest.

Have to tell you, I am so jealous and impressed of you living the festool DREAM.

When I make some money I want to be JUST like you!

Thanks Harold for you kind words but I have been buying tools what seems like for ever and I'm just working my way into the Festool line. I still have a hard time laying out the cash but now with me time is more important and if it is going to help me get things done faster and easy I'm all for it.

For $50/$60 that is a lot safer way to go. I guess that I'm showing my age I almost said just use some romex  a plug and some sockets. 

Also I have to make a correction I said that you could buy the SySlite in groups of 6 but it is only 4 for only $700.00

fesn499730.jpg

Great review regopit. Very pro like something I would be reading on the front page of tools in action.com . I'm amazed at how inflated the price is, I love a good deal and all but I'm no stranger for dropping some serious cash on something if it really is worth it but like you said this ain't worth it for the price

• Like 1