The Micro: 3D Printer

EEtwidget

3D Printers are a great tool, fun hobby, and just really cool. Recently the tech has caught up to user demand and cost has gone down. A pro 3D Printer goes for $50k+ but you can buy a hobby printer from a company like MakerBot for about $3k, a reasonable price however still out of reach for many consumers.

Yesterday a kickstarter campaign launched, with an initial goal of $50,000; The Micro 3D printer raised the money in only 11 minuets!

Clamming to be "The first truly consumer 3D printer that is incredibly intuitive, easy to own, and seamless by design"

Early adopters were able to pick up a Micro for only $199! Although this reward level is sold out, you can still claim a printer for $299, an incredible value!

As of 4/8/2014 @ 12.27 pacific time, The Micro campaign has raised close to $1.2 million dollars. With 28 days remaining on the campaign, it will be interesting to see how much they can raise.

The tragedy is, I don't have $299 to back this project. :(

post-28428-0-39298500-1396985719_thumb.j

This is in the works as we speak Researchers at the University of Southern California have been developing a technology that 'prints' quick-setting concrete from a computer controlled gantry.

9f0c1678-e5c8-4a8c-9f6a-be3123680ad5-460

Just think of the possibility ? After a deserter bulldoze the ground start putting up temporary housing. You could just keep on rolling all day. 

• Like 1

This is in the works as we speak Researchers at the University of Southern California have been developing a technology that 'prints' quick-setting concrete from a computer controlled gantry.

9f0c1678-e5c8-4a8c-9f6a-be3123680ad5-460

Just think of the possibility ? After a deserter bulldoze the ground start putting up temporary housing. You could just keep on rolling all day.

Wes studied that tech a bit in drafting, pretty cool.. You can print water/swear pipes in place, everyday new material is available to print, from food to wood, to organs

Thats awesome, I've been into 3d printers but they are just too much but this is more of my price range. Looks small though I wonder how effective it is

Yes, it's small but that just means you need to be creative. Build models in pieces. It is a good entry point for many people to get into 3d printing, if you really do like it and use it, then step up to the $3k unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't a Micro 3D printer be the cat's meow for an ultimate tool bag prize? Make your own tools, parts, knick nacks, etc.

I do like the nicks but never cared much for the nacks.

Kinda' like those Thomas' English Muffins with all those nooks and crannies. I think the nooks are great but I never could develop a taste for the crannies.

I'm looking forward to the day when you can feed wire stock into one of these and get a metal part out.

Feed in copper and get a copper part. Feed it aluminum and get an aluminum part. Feed in solid core solder and get a lead alloy part. I guess you might even be able to feed MIG welding wire into it and get a steel part.

That kinda reminds me of the old alchemists' quest of being able to turn lead into gold. Feed in solid core solder and get a gold part.

Yep!  I want one!   

• 1 month later...